ASUCD Senate Briefs

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the April 15 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room.

Meeting called to order at 6:10 p.m.

Jack Zwald, ASUCD president, present, left early

Previn Witana, ASUCD vice president, present

Abrham Castillo-Ruiz, ASCUD senator, present

Adam Thongsavat, ASUCD senator, present

Alison Tanner, ASUCD senator, present

Andre Lee, ASUCD president, present

Bree Rombi, ASUCD senator, pro tempore, present

Don Ho, ASUCD senator, arrived late

Joel Juarez, ASUCD senator, present

Levi Menovske, ASUCD senator, arrived late

Liz Walz, ASUCD senator, present

Osahon Ekhator, ASUCD senator, arrived at 9:21 p.m.

Ozzy Arce, ASUCD senator, present

Selisa Romero, ASUCD senator, present

Presentations

Lee and members from the Outreach Assembly presented their strategies for involving first-year students in ASUCD.

Consideration of old legislation

Senate Bill 53, a bill to allocate funds to students in the sustainable agriculture program to attend a conference about modern day slavery occurring in Florida was vetoed by Zwald. The senate voted to override the veto, but the vote to override failed with a 7-5 vote.

Senate Bill 52, authored by Sergio Cano, to include procedures of how to elect ASUCD senate representatives for Unit Relocation and Space Allocation Committee, passed unanimously.

Public Discussion

In the discussion of the senate bill vetoed by Zwald, senators and the public debated what legal precedents would be set after the veto, how the students in Florida would be in debt if the veto was not overridden and if the bill was an educational opportunity that applied to the greater student body.

Walz requested that all members at the table follow the senate meeting rules, mentioning Sarah Raridon, chair of the Gender and Sexuality Commission, repeatedly leaving during the meeting. Raridon responded that she would do whatever was necessary for her to function best at the table.

Public Announcements

Menovske discussed the status of his goals to establish a collection of rental books at the bookstore and of the meetings underway to make that happen.

Meeting adjourned at 11:10 p.m.

AKSHAYA RAMANUJAM compiles the senate briefs. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.