Column: P-Day PDA

I know it’s Wednesday, but I still have Picnic Day on my mind. Who doesn’t? There are still traces of it left behind everywhere you look. The random red cups on lawns, the beer cans in the street and the guy who’s still passed out in your bed. (You should check his pulse).

I hope you enjoyed your day. And if it was your last as an undergrad, I’m right there with you. Don’t worry – you can always come back when you’re 40 and the beer bong will still be waiting.

One thing I noticed this year as I was gallivanting through the streets of Davis was the influx of PDA (public display of affection). Maybe people had Picnic Day fever (or maybe they drank a little too much), but I saw more tonsil hockey than was necessary.

Let’s start with Friday. People were excited for Saturday’s festivities, so they started to celebrate early. As I was walking down the street to get dinner, two people were making out as if their lives depended on it right on the corner in front of Vito’s. There were children around.

Then it was Saturday. The day we’ve been waiting for since last Picnic Day. I would like to take this moment to thank whoever controls the weather. Magnificent day!

My friends and I wheeled a suitcase filled of champagne and beer about five blocks through downtown. Good idea, right? We thought so! Who wanted to carry all those bottles?

I took part in the standard Picnic Day morning festivities. Mimosas and pancakes … and even eggs this year! Props to the chef (I hope you’re reading this).

I’m not going to lie. Picnic Day got the better of me. When my friend fell in the parking lot of another friend’s apartment complex, I did more than help her up. No, it’s not what you’re thinking, but I did find myself on the ground as well. I was just giving her a hug, people.

Then there was campus. I didn’t notice too much PDA. Maybe people subconsciously knew their professor could be watching or had the decency to care about the small children running around.

But did you notice how many dogs there were? I sure did. I stopped to pet a few – and even caught one dry humping the air. Or maybe it was his leash. Either way, he was going at it like there was no tomorrow.

Then naptime came around. Everyone seems to find a place to rest his or her eyes for a couple hours to make it through the night.

Well, my roommate had a few friends visiting and they took over my living room floor. If my eyes saw clearly, there were definitely two girls and a guy on a blow-up mattress. Not sure if they were doing more than sleeping, but I’ll leave it at that.

Round two of Picnic Day 2010 later made its way to town and the bars were packed. Lines for blocks, cover charges and police up the yin-yang. But as I was walking through downtown, I noticed many of the benches were seeing more action than usual.

I would have to say this Picnic Day was a success. It wasn’t raining and I even got to watch part of the parade from the balcony of an apartment complex – with a mimosa in my hand. Go me. I think the spectators were more excited about the party I was at than the actual parade. We definitely had our picture taken more than once.

I hope you all had a great Picnic Day. And next time you want to express your love for someone, maybe do it behind closed doors. Don’t worry – I’ll follow my own advice as well.

ERICA BETNUN is loving spring quarter. Are you? Let her know at elbetnun@ucdavis.edu.