News in brief

Paid volunteers needed for website feedback

Fifteen participants are needed for a community meeting about a website, for which they will give feedback.

Participants must think critically and give honest evaluations about the material presented. The meeting will be April 29 from 6 to 8 p.m. in Davis.

Eligible participants must reside in Davis and must be at least 18 years old. They will be paid $50 and a light meal will be provided.

If you are interested in participating, please fill out an online questionnaire at surveymonkey.com/s/K26KT86 or contact Vanessa Fontana at the California Air Resources Board at vfontana@arb.ca.gov or (916) 322-2408.

Yamada presides over first of Assembly Aging and Long-Term Care Committee’s oversight hearing

Rep. Mariko Yamada (D-Davis), chair of the Assembly Aging and Long-Term Care Committee, heard testimony from the California Department of Aging on Tuesday.

CDA manages administration of both the federal Older Americans Act and the Older Californians Act, as well as contracts with the state network of 33 Area Agencies on Aging. Committee members were briefed on the organization of CDA by former state legislator director of CDA Lynn Daucher, who discussed improvement and efficiency of the department’s operations.

“The California Department of Aging oversees the provision of community services to millions of Californians,” Yamada said. “Accountability is crucial in delivering these vital services, and in these times of shrinking public resources in the face of growing need, we must be sure that all State departments are maximizing their state funding efficiently.”

State Inspector General Laura Chick gave an overview of the distribution of American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funds in the state. Witnesses testified, concerned about how CDA applies for and expends the funds.

The Aging and Long-Term Care Committee meeting will take place at the State Capitol on May 4. The focus will be the Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly.

Yolo County continues search for grand juror candidates

Each year on July 1, the Yolo Superior Court appoints members to the grand jury, which serves as part of the judicial system – although it is an independent body. The Court is now accepting applications for 19 grand jurors, as it extended the submission deadline.

The jury will review operations of city and county governments, as well as other agencies and districts. The grand jury will then publish a report a make recommendations to improve quality and effectiveness of local government.

For the 2010-2011 Yolo County Grand Jury, the term runs from July 1 to June 30. An average time commitment is 25 to 40 hours per month. The grand jury usually meets twice each month, typically in the evening. Reimbursement is offered at the rate of $15 per day and $0.55 per mile round trip for transportation.

Please submit applications by April 30.

For an application visit 725 Court St., Room 303, Woodland, yolo.courts.ca.gov, or call 406-6828.

POOJA KUMAR can be reached at city@theaggie.org.