U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame travels to its permanent home in Davis

The long-awaited United States Bicycling Hall of Fame opened in Davis on Saturday with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the museum within Central Park on the corner of Third and B Streets.

“I want to recognize the collaboration of city of Davis, UC Davis, the Hall of Fame, the California Bicycle Museum, community leaders and many more,” said Mayor Ruth Asmundson. “Each of you has made a part in celebrating cycling, which is the heart and soul of Davis.”

In April 2009 the Hall of Fame selected Davis as its new home, relocating from Somerville, New Jersey.

The USBHF joined forces with the California Bicycle Museum expanding the board of directors for both organizations.

“With that expansion, we now represent the country and truly establish the Hall of Fame as a national organization,” said USBHF President of the Board of Directors Dawn Wylong.

Over 125 cyclists have been entered into the Hall of Fame in its 25-year history and four new inductees are elected annually.

The Hall of Fame features the UC Davis Pierce Miller Collection of antique bicycles, an extensive catalog of memorabilia from the Hall of Fame, the recent 2009 class of Hall of Fame inductees and cycling artifacts.

The museum, at 303 3rd St., will be open on Wednesdays from 2 to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Several dignitaries from Davis and Somerville were present, including Director of Transportation, Airport and Parking Services (TAPS) Clifford Contreras, UC Davis Bicycle Program Coordinator David Takemoto-Weerts, several Davis City Councilmembers, 1997 US Bicycling Hall of Fame Inductee and Olympian George Mount and 1994 USBHF Inductee, competitor and Past President of the Board Ernie Seubert. Cheri Elliott, 2008 US Bicycling Hall of Fame Inductee, First Woman Inducted into the BMX Hall of Fame, was also present.

Sen. Lois Wolk (D-Davis) who presented a state legislature certificate of recognition to Hall of Fame to commemorate a successful grand opening in Davis.

– Pooja Kumar