Super Mash Bros. to perform May 20

If you like ’90s classics, electronica beats, modern music or all of the above rolled into one, then come to Freeborn Hall May 20, to see Super Mash Bros. perform live from 8 to 11 p.m.

Tickets are on sale at the Freeborn box office for $12 with a student ID.

This will definitely not be what some consider conventional, as the band offers their own approach to musical style.

Tim Zamanigan, a sophomore English major who volunteers at the Entertainment Council, said “the band offers electronica kind of stuff with a mesh of popular songs from the ’90s.”

Based in their hometown of Los Angeles, Nick Fenmore, Dick Fink and Ethan Dawes take all the great hits of our beloved childhood and juxtapose them against the edgier, catchy tunes of today.

But that doesn’t strictly mean it’s Britney Spears meets Jay-Z. The band offers a wide selection from each decade and combines them to fit harmoniously. Each song could potentially include German pop, rock ‘n’ roll, hip-hop, easy listening or healing, according to their Myspace page.

Thongxy Phansopha, a senior Spanish major and director of the E.C. also said, “It’s really dance-y, a blend of ’90s with our top 40 songs of today.”

Although they have no original material, there is an aspect in their creativity that is extremely appealing.

Tim Kerbavaz, a sophomore technocultural studies major and productions coordinator for the E.C., said Super Mash Bros. “represents our generation as a youth and what we get excited to listen to.”

This newest concept of creatively blending multi generational music has been growing more and more popular, with the Super Mash Bros. leading the way.

“There are actually a lot of these small mash up artists out there, and these guys have been around for a while,” Phansopha said. “They’re more well known than the others, one of the more popular ones.”

The concert itself had a much slower start than usual, but turned out to go smoothly after its rough beginning.

Phansopha said that Sam Sugarman, another staff member of the E.C., created a Facebook group to try and see how many would support the band performing here. After enough people had joined, Sugarman approached Phansopha and they began to set up negotiations with their agency.

“If you’re not A-list, then it’s a lot easier to contact and get the process started,” Phansopha said.

However, Phansopha explained that the concert was originally intended for winter quarter. The show was pushed back to spring, due to the Super Mash Bros.’ performance schedule.

After securing a performance date, it took the E.C. staff two months to prepare for the event. This included working out dates and negotiating prices for the band.

“We already had the venue ahead of time because we placed a hold on it.”

This show will be the fourth concert the E.C. has put on in Freeborn Hall – a rare number for one year.

“I don’t even remember the last time that many happened in one year.” Kerbavaz said. “Basically, the success of next year’s concerts depends on the success of current shows.”

“Although they’re not the most popular band out there, the more people we get to attend the better it will be to ensure better performances for future concerts.”

Although the Super Mash Bros. may not be as popular as the top 10 artists on iTunes, attendance does not seem to be a likely problem for this event.

For more information, visit the group’s Facebook event page.

BRITTANY PEARLMAN can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.