Campus Judicial Report for Wednesday, May 19

Wandering eye

This junior was referred to Student Judicial Affairs (SJA) for copying during an exam. The TA stated that the student was looking around during the exam and asked the student to keep their eyes on their own paper. The student’s behavior continued and at the end of the exam, the exam was flagged and the TA reported the misconduct to SJA. The student admitted to glancing at another person’s exam as a way to keep track of time. The student stated that they did not copy work, but just had a habit of looking around. Looking around is also known as “wandering eyes” and is prohibited by the Academic Code of Conduct. Since this was a first referral, the student was given the sanctions of 10 hours of community service and one year of disciplinary probation.

Unauthorized materials

A student was reported to SJA for the utilization of unauthorized materials during an exam. This junior was caught using notes during an exam even thought the professor specially instructed that no notes or books could be used during the exam. The TA noticed that the student had placed the notes on the floor and was continuously looking at them. When the student met with a judicial officer, she admitted to using notes and apologized. Since this was the student’s first referral to SJA, she received 15 hours of community service and disciplinary probation until graduation.

Copying homework

A TA reported a sophomore to SJA for copying homework. When grading the homework, the TA noticed that two students had identical answers and mistakes. Furthermore, the two similar homework assignments were turned in together by one of the students, with the other absent. The TA also observed that the two students seemed to be friends, regularly sitting next to each other in class. In meeting with a judicial officer, the student admitted to copying his friend’s homework without their knowledge and was given the sanctions of 15 hours of community service and one year of disciplinary probation.

Members of Student Judicial Affairs compiled this report. Additional information about SJA and the Campus Judicial Board may be found at sja.ucdavis.edu.