Aggie News Highlights

Over a thousand protest UC and state budgetary decisions

Sep. 28, 2009

Thousands of students, staff and faculty walked out of class on the first day of school, upset by the recent furlough plan and increased student fees. The rally was part of the day-long UC-wide walkout, and was joined by members of the University Professional and Technical Employees union.

Target hosts grand opening

Oct 8, 2009

While Davis’ new Target store finally opened its doors, one of the most contentious chapters in Davis history will finally came to a close. The story of Target’s arrival here almost perfectly captures the essence of what makes Davis unique, as in any other town, the arrival of a Target store would go unnoticed.

Series of shooting incidents shock Davis residents

Oct. 8, 2009

An eviction enforcement gone wrong on Sept. 29 was one of several shooting incidents. Another Sept. 26 shooting at a University Village Apartments party resulted in four arrests, while on Aug. 8, a person shot into an occupied apartment on J Street. On May 7, there was another attempted burglary with shots fired on Drew Circle in South Davis. On Sept. 13, at the former 21 and Seven (now Agave) in downtown Davis, one individual shot another after a large fight. Davis Police Department Press Information Officer Lt. Thomas Waltz said the events were unrelated and Davis has its own share of crime just like any other city.

UC Regents approve 32 percent fee increase

Nov 19, 2009

The UC Regents voted and approved an undergraduate fee increase of 32 percent, which they planned to divide into a 15 percent mid-year increase this spring and another 15 percent increase in the fall of 2010. Resident undergraduate fees rose to $10,302 and nonresident graduates increased to $11,160 in fees. Student regent Jesse Bernal was the only regent to vote against the fee increases.

Over 50 arrested in Mrak Hall demonstration

Nov. 20, 2009

Fifty-two students and faculty members were arrested after attempting to occupy Mrak Hall. They said their goal was to send a message to the people who work in Mrak Hall and the UC Regents that budget cuts and fee increases were unacceptable. Later, a Yolo County District Attorney decided not to press charges against those arrested.

UC Davis student gives ‘hella’ new meaning

Feb. 18, 2010

Physics student Austin Sendek began a Facebook petition to persuade International System of Units to give the phrase “hella” the quantity of 10 to the 27th power.

Winter 2010 ASUCD election decided

Feb. 22, 2010

Jack Zwald and Previn Witana of the L.E.A.D. slate won the executive ticket in ASUCD by a margin of 3.6 percent. The winter election was met with early controversy, as one student filed a complaint with the Elections Committee about the legitimacy of their petition.

Hate crimes target UC Davis students

March 2, 2010

A swastika was carved onto the door of a Jewish student in the Tercero dormitories on Feb. 19. A week later, the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resource Center was the target of an attack when derogatory terms were spray-painted on the center’s front entrance, said Lt. Matthew Carmichael of the UC Davis Police Department. The attacks added to the growing number of hate crimes experienced in the UC system, such as UCSD students’ controversial “Compton Cookout” and a noose found in the library at UCSD.

March 4 campus rally culminates at freeway entrance

March 4, 2010

In the UC Davis March 4 protest against student fee increases, over 400 students, faculty and union members marched through campus in the year’s largest protest. Protestors encountered three separate lines of police on Old Davis Road and pushed through the first two. At the second line, about 100 yards from the I-80 on-ramp, police began firing pepper balls at the ground. At the last line, senior Laura Mitchell was arrested.

CHP reverses statement on Taser use at campus protest

March 12, 2010

After initially denying that anyone was hit with a Taser during campus protests on March 4, the California Highway Patrol changed its story in response to a California Aggie investigation. The statement by CHP officer Marvin Williford said that upon further review of the data, it was clear that one Taser was successfully discharged in drive stun mode before it malfunctioned.

Health care reform bill carries dramatic changes for students

Mar 30, 2010

Young adults gained the opportunity to remain on their parents’ insurance until age 26.

Davis Food Co-op directors vote against boycott

Apr 2, 2010

Local activists conducted a campaign to ban Israeli goods. The Davis Food Co-op has been at the center of controversy over activists’ efforts to boycott Israeli products at the grocery store on 620 G St.

UC Davis Athletics cuts four sports to tackle budget problems

April 19, 2010

UC Davis decided to close the women’s rowing, men’s wrestling, men’s indoor track and men’s swimming and diving by July 1. The cuts were made to address an existing $1.4 million budget deficit and an additional $2.4 million fiscal hole for 2009 to 2010. A group of student athletes later alleged that their sports may have been unfairly discontinued and want the cuts reversed.

UC Davis professional schools surge in rankings

Apr 26, 2010

U.S. News and World Report’s graduate school rankings showed the UC Davis School of Law climbed seven spots, gaining the 28th slot out of nearly 200 accredited graduate programs. The UC Davis School of Medicine ranked 20th in primary care and 47th in research.

U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame travels to permanent home in Davis

Apr 27, 2010

The long-awaited United States Bicycling Hall of Fame opened in Davis at the museum within Central Park on the corner of Third and B Streets. The Hall of Fame features the UC Davis Pierce Miller Collection of antique bicycles, an extensive catalog of memorabilia from the Hall of Fame, the recent 2009 class of Hall of Fame inductees and cycling artifacts.

University leaders agree: Picnic Day needs change

May 13, 2010

Complaints of drunken rowdiness left many concerned the day may need some reforms. This year, the campus Police Department handled 330 calls for service and there were 33 were arrested in the city. The ASUCD Picnic Day Committee, alumni, Government and Community Relations, the Davis Chamber of Commerce and the Davis Downtown Business Association have formed a task force and met Monday to look into ways to address problems related to Picnic Day.

A string of copper-wire thefts cost the city

May 17, 2010

A series of copper-wire thefts hit Davis hard over the past few weeks, leaving rows of darkened lights in parks and greenbelts. The Davis Police Department warned citizens to be on the lookout for suspicious activity, while the city was concerned about safety and monetary costs of replacing the expensive copper wires.

Stage 2 Amgen Tour of California

May 18, 2010

Davis hosted the Stage 2 Start of the Amgen Tour of California with a festival in Central Park. At 11 a.m., a group of 950 – racers and their entourages – sped through downtown, making their way through Russell Boulevard. The bike race brought top professional teams in the world to Davis.

June election poses big changes for City Council

Mayor Ruth Asmundson announced her resignation; Councilmember Lamar Heystek said he will not seek reelection and Mayor Pro Tempore Don Saylor ran for Yolo County Supervisor. Five candidates will vie for two open seats in the June 8 election.

Compiled by LAUREN STUESSY and POOJA KUMAR.