Aggies start season on right foot

It’s always great to win games, even if it is just the preseason.

UC Davis got off to just the start they were looking for in their first two exhibition games last week, and they went a long way toward showing where the scoring would come from this season.

Thursday – UC Davis 6, Dominican 0

The Aggies did not wait long to show their offense was alive and well.

UC Davis scored their first goal of 2010 season in just the 9th minute when sophomore Dan Reese knocked in a shot from close range off an assist from freshman Alex Henry.

The Aggies netted their second goal just 19 minutes later, when junior Lance Patterson took a pass from junior Rene Cuellar and tapped it into the net on his first touch.

Midfielder Jason Santos scored on a penalty kick in the 40th minute and UC Davis went to halftime with a 3-0 lead.

In the second half the Aggies picked up right where they left off. Alex Henry fired in a brilliant shot from the top of the box that flew into the net to the left of the goalkeeper.

It was just the way the Poway, Calif. native would have wanted to start his collegiate career, and coach Dwayne Shaffer was impressed by the effort.

“He had an excellent first game,” Shaffer said. “As a true freshman that shot was outstanding.”

“I knew I could step up to the collegiate level,” Henry said. “I knew my first game would be a good test. I just did my best to keep focused.”

Dan Reese scored his second goal of the game in the 85th minute, capping a very strong season debut in his new role as an attacking player.

“Dan had a great game,” Shaffer said. “Scoring two goals in his first real game as a striker was excellent. He is big, fast, and strong and he played really well technically.”

Reese knew that his two goals were the products of hard work and team play.

“I’ve been working on my shots and my runs all offseason,” Reese said. “Our whole team played really well and our passing was really good.”

Alex Henry got his second assist of the night as his corner kick was knocked into the goal by senior Nathan Javadi to give the Aggies 6-0 win.

The UC Davis defense dominated the Dominican attack the entire game. The Aggies did not allow the Penguins a single shot in the entire game.

Sunday – UC Davis 1, Chico State 0

UC Davis had to wait a little longer to score in their second exhibition.

Despite having 10 shots in the first half, the Aggies were unable to find the back of the net and the game went to halftime scoreless.

But UC Davis started the second half with a bang.

In the 47th minute Nick Grigoriev headed the ball into the net following a pass from Lance Patterson.

The Aggies were unable to net another goal in the game, despite having 20 shots. One goal, however, was all UC Davis needed to get the win. Their veteran defensive line held their opponent scoreless for the second straight game as the Wildcats posted only three shots, none of which were on goal.

UC Davis will begin their regular season schedule on the road against Cal State Bakersfield, and will make their regular season home debut Sunday when they take on the Spartans of San Jose State.

TREVOR CRAMER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.