City News Summer Digest

UC Davis doesn’t stop making news once school ends. Here’s a taste of what you missed while you were gone.

UC Workers gain whistle blower protection

Aug. 2 – UC employees were ensured whistle-blower protection, when Gov. Schwarzenegger signed SB 650 on July 15. The bill amended the governmental code to extend to UC workers the legal right to seek damages in court if they report misconduct in the workplace and their complaint is not reviewed fairly.

“Finally, we are able to close this legal loophole and restore some dignity for UC whistleblowers and integrity to the system,” said Sen. Leland Yee (D-San Francisco), the author of the bill.

– Originally reported by Sarah Hansel

Campus and city fire departments plan merger

Aug. 9 – UC Davis and the city of Davis fire departments started consolidating their management Sept. 1. Under the pilot program, the interim city Fire Chief Bill Weisgerber will run both departments, though crews will be dispatched based on proximity, rather than department. The merger could potentially save a combined $250,000 annually.

“This is uncharted territory, merging the city and university like this,” said Weisgerber. “But it’s an exciting challenge and we’re looking forward to seeing what will happen. “

– Originally reported by Sarah Hansel

Influx of burglaries

Aug. 16 – Davis saw 66 alleged residential burglaries between July and August. This is compared is 61 total reported burglaries in 2009 and 50 reported in 2008. Small electronics were said to be targeted, as well as prescription drugs.

“This summer we’ve seen a lot more victims report their prescription medication missing – it’s something not normally reported,” said Steven Pierce, assistant police chief of the Davis Police Department.

– Originally reported by Karen Song

City manager resigns

Sept. 24 – Bill Emlen, the Davis city manager since 2006, resigned in late August. He accepted a position as director of resource management with Solano County.

Emlen will be replaced by Assistant City Manager Paul Navazio, who was unanimously voted in by City Council on Sept. 7. His first day will be this Friday – Emlen’s last day in office.

CITY NEWS SUMMER DIGEST was compiled by BECKY PETERSON. She can be reached at city@theaggie.org.