Cross Country Preview

Event: Santa Clara University Bronco Invitational

When: Saturday, all day

Where: Santa Clara, Calif.

Who to Watch: Junior runner Krista Dreschler was awarded the Big West Conference’s Women’s athlete of the week after the Stanford Invitational.

The Santa Barbara, Calif. native finished in sixth place with a time of 20:49 in the 6K race.

Did you know? This is the Aggies’ final cross country event before they match up against the best in their conference at the Big West Conference Championship in two weeks.

Preview: Three long weeks have passed since the Aggies last had a taste of competition.

This weekend’s meet at Santa Clara University is UC Davis’ first look at new opponents since the Stanford Invitational on Sep. 25.

The men finished seventh while the women finished sixth at the event. This left the Aggies feeling temporarily satisfied with their results.

But now the wait is over for fresh competition as the Big West Championship sits just over the horizon. The runners are hungry again to showcase their speed this Saturday against 30 other teams.

Coach Drew Wartenburg is very interested to see the conditioning level of his squad after three weeks of workouts.

“This will be a good marker to see how they have advanced in their fitness,” Wartenburg said.

Wartenburg looks to see big results out of runners Jonathan Sees and Jonathan Peterson.

“This is the last chance for them to really cut loose before getting ready for the Big West meet,” Wartenburg said.

On the women’s side, Wartenburg pointed out Krista Dreschler is on the hunt to have another outstanding showing after her great performance at Stanford three weeks ago.

Along with getting a good look at his own team, coach Wartenburg is using this upcoming weekend to get a preview of the competition for the Big West Championship.

The coach calls this weekend a “dress rehearsal” for the championship and is looking to such upperclassmen as Sees, Peterson and Dreschler to lead the way for the Aggies at Santa Clara.

This far into the season, the team looks to be right where they want to be on an individual level. Wartenburg says that the key to this weekend will be to put forth a great team effort. Having a good day across the board will be what pulls the Aggies out ahead this weekend.

– Johnny Parsons