Field Hockey Preview

Teams: UC Davis at No. 6 Ohio State; at No. 12 Michigan

Records: Aggies, 5-7; Buckeyes 11-3; Wolverines 10-5

Where: Phyllis Ocker Field – Ann Arbor, Mich.

When: Saturday at 10 a.m.; Sunday at 8 a.m.

Who to watch: Sophomore goalkeeper Lauren Sawvelle has been instrumental in the Aggies’ success this season.

The San Diego, Calif. native has started all 12 games this year and has 78 saves, good for a .743 save percentage.

Did you know? UC Davis players took two NorPac Conference awards last week.

Sophomore Nadia Namdari was named Western Division Offensive Player of the Week for the first time this season following her game-winning overtime goal against Pacific.

Cloey LemMon – who also scored in the Aggies’ win over the Tigers – received Western Division Freshman of the Week for the fourth time this year.

Preview: UC Davis is trying to keep its momentum rolling as it enters the last three games before the NorPac Tournament.

This will be no easy task, however, as the Aggies will travel out of state to face two of the top teams in the Big Ten Conference in Ohio State and Michigan.

UC Davis expects to get their opponents’ best shot.

“I expect them to come out extremely hard,” said coach Vianney Campos. “They’re going to play us just like they would a top level Big Ten team.”

UC Davis suffered its only two shutouts of the year in two previous contests with Big Ten programs – a 5-0 loss to Northwestern and a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Indiana.

Still, the Aggies feel like they can improve upon the prior Big Ten matchups.

“In no way do we feel like we’re beaten before the game even starts,” Campos said. “We play hard no matter what and we never give up.”

Campos also feels this trip will help prepare her team for what’s to come.

“We’re looking forward to the opportunity of seeing these great teams,” she said. “This is a great way for us to get ready for the NorPac Tournament. We keep finding motivation in our practices and we always learn from our mistakes.”

– Trevor Cramer