Former CASA executive director embezzles thousands

Claudean Medlock, a 54-year-old woman of Carmichael, Calif., allegedly embezzled around $46,000 during her time as the executive director of Yolo County Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA). Medlock is being charged with grand theft.

Medlock was employed by CASA from July 2009 to July 2010. As the executive director, she was entrusted with a CASA debit card, which she allegedly used to take multiple cash advances totaling approximately $30,000.

According to Yolo County Deputy District Attorney Michelle Serafin, Medlock used this money to gamble at casinos such as Cache Creek, Sycuan Casino, Red Hawk Casino and Thunder Valley. Medlock also used forged checks and falsified expense reports to obtain approximately $16,000. It is unknown what Medlock used this money for.

A nonprofit organization, CASA recruits and trains volunteers to represent the best interests of abused and neglected children in the courtroom.

“As you can imagine, our advocates, who donate their time and energy to help foster youth in our community, are angry and hurt by this terrible betrayal,” said Diana Glick, secretary of Yolo CASA.

CASA was notified of irregular charges to their account in July, and began internal investigation soon after. Medlock was arrested Aug. 12 and a police investigation began thereafter. Yolo County District Attorney Jeff Reisig announced on Oct. 14 that Medlock pled “no contest” to the felony charge.

“We worked over the last two and a half months to rebuild the damage and were very disappointed in the action related to Medlock’s case in court last week,” President of Yolo County CASA board of directors Mila Spengler said in a press-release.

Glick said that many community members have reached out to provide additional support to Yolo CASA since the incident. The organization is currently in the process of hiring a new executive director.

Despite the losses, Glick said the situation has not dampened CASA’s desire to provide mentoring and advocacy services to vulnerable and at-risk youth in the Yolo County area.

“We are confident that Yolo County CASA will come out stronger and better able to serve the youth in our community,” Glick said.

Medlock will be sentenced on Dec. 8 in Yolo County Superior Court. She faces up to 5 years probation, possibly paying restitution and up to one year in jail.

ASHLEY NEWMAN can be reached at city@theaggie.org.