Women’s Soccer: Women’s soccer comes up short against conference foes

Last weekend was just another tough weekend in an already tough year.

Hopes of nailing the last Big West Conference playoff spot faded away as the Aggies lost to both Pacific and Cal Poly.

With the two losses, UC Davis dropped to 6-9-1 on the year and 1-5 in Big West play.

Thursday – Pacific 1, UC Davis 0

The Aggies’ last road conference game was a very physical contest. Unfortunately for UC Davis, its opponent seemed to hit the ground running.

Pacific controlled the tempo and pace early in the match, maintaining control of the ball as the Tigers posted nine straight shots on goal before UC Davis was able to respond with one of their own. By the end of the half, the Tigers would take 11 shots to the Aggies’ three.

Though the Aggies had anticipated the intensity, it was Pacific’s physical and stifling defense that prevented UC Davis from getting into their offense.

“The game was scrappy, and that’s what we expected,” said junior Lisa Kemp. “They are really physical and really strong. They got an early goal and we couldn’t get back from it.”

Referees were not shy in enforcing the rules of the game, handing out a total of six cards.

Four yellows were handed to the Aggie players, with one red card ejecting soccer coach Maryclaire Robinson in the 55th minute.

Sunday – Cal Poly 3, UC Davis 1

Heavy rains and stormy weather made Aggie Soccer Field unplayable. As a result, the women played their first game ever in the confines of Aggie Stadium.

The cold weather, however, did not slow down the pace of the game. Instead, the Mustangs and Aggies both came strong out of the gate. Cal Poly took 14 shots in the first half en route to a 2-0 lead entering the break.

UC Davis also had plenty of opportunities, including seven corner kicks and as many shots on goal.

The Aggies would have to wait until midway through the second period to get on the scoreboard when freshman Kiele Argente found the back of the net on a rebounded shot from Ashley Edwards.

In the end, the Aggies took 25 shots, indicating plenty of opportunities. Unfortunately, UC Davis couldn’t take advantage of most of them.

“We got some great sequences today,” Robinson said. “We put one over [the crossbar], hit the post, and their goal keeper came up big. We had our chances today.”

Despite the two losses, Robinson highlighted the return of scoring leader Allison Kelly.

“We got Kelly back, and that’s nice,” Robinson said. “We’ve had so many injuries this year. It’s nice to get some kids healthy.”

The Aggies return home for the final two games of the season. Friday, UC Davis will play UC Riverside at 1 p.m. at Aggie Soccer Field.

MATT WANG can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.