Freeborn’s free electronic dance party 

When was the last time you got to dance to professional DJs at no cost?

Students looking to begin their Halloween festivities early can check out “A Night of Electronic Music,” a free dance party that is jointly presented by ASUCD’s Entertainment Council and the Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity.

The event, which is only open to UC Davis students, begins at 8:30 p.m. and goes until 1:30 a.m., with doors closing at 11 p.m.

Although tickets for the event were initially $15, the Entertainment Council and ASUCD have recently decided to make it a free event so that more students can go.

The event will feature a lineup of five different DJs. According to Tim Kerbavaz, a junior at UC Davis and one of the main organizers of the show, “A Night of Electronic Music” will feature some amazing talent.

“All the DJs who are playing were hand-picked because they know how to keep people dancing all night,” Kerbavaz said.

The headlining act for Thursday’s dance is the Disco Villains, Kerbavaz said.

“The Disco Villains are electronic musicians from Mexico who put on a pretty impressive show. I would recommend that anyone look them up on YouTube to see videos from other shows they’ve done recently,” he said.

Tim Chin, the Entertainment Council’s promotions coordinator, said that the event has a lot to offer.

“It’ll be great for the students to be able to have fun on campus and it’s a great way to check out new music as well,” he said.

The DJ group starting off the night will be Retrospekt, whose set is from 8:45 to 9:05 p.m. This is the group that coordinator Kerbavaz is most excited about.

“They’ve been making waves in the Davis music scene all summer, and I’m really excited to bring them to Freeborn. They really get the crowd excited, so I think that they’re the perfect way to kick off the night. Come early, you don’t want to miss them,” he said.

Following Retrospekt will be DJ Slick Knuckles from 9:15 to 10 p.m. The music will then be taken over by DJ’s Chris Moris and C Kay, who are sharing the set from 10:15 to 11:45 p.m., followed by Villains.

“A Night of Electronic Music” is the Entertainment Council’s effort to fulfill recent student requests.

“Students have been asking for bigger events and more electronic music. With this event we’re trying to bridge both of those gaps, and bring more dancing-friendly music to Freeborn,” Kerbavaz said.

Delta Sigma Phi is also excited about their partnership with the Entertainment Council to put on this unique event. Jason Pugach, the president of Delta Sigma Phi, said he hoped students are excited about the event.

“We’re co-hosting this event with the Entertainment Council because we really want to reach out to the students and party with them. We hope this show goes well so we can continue to bring talent to Davis,” he said.

Tonight’s dance party has multiple effects planned, transforming Freeborn into a true electronic club atmosphere. There will be Go-Go dancers, professional lasers and lighting effects, and a 30,000-watt sound system. There will also be free refreshments, an outdoor smoking area, and giveaways for attendees.

“A Night of Electronic Music” has been a long time in the making. We’ve been planning this event since this summer, and I really think we’ve got the perfect mix for an amazing night,” Kerbavaz said.

To pick up a free ticket, students need to go to either the Freeborn Box Office or the Delta Sigma Phi house and show their Aggie ID Card. No non-UC Davis students or alcohol will be allowed. There will be no tickets at the door.

ANNETA KONSTANTINIDES can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.