Davis Food Not Bombs celebrates 15 years

This year marks the 15th anniversary of the Davis chapter of Food Not Bombs, an organization dedicated to conserving food and promoting peace, human rights and an overall healthy environment.

Every Sunday at 1 p.m. in Central Park, Food Not Bombs sets out free vegetarian meals for the Davis community. The food used for the meals is reclaimed from places where the food would otherwise have been wasted. The food is normally prepared in the UC Davis Tri Co-op kitchens.

William Goss, junior plant biology major and volunteer for Food Not Bombs, discovered the organization last year while exploring Davis on a weekend.

“I saw them serving free food at Central Park, and after eating with them, I decided to help out and volunteer with them.

“Ninety-nine percent of the time, the food that is cooked is vegan and made from non-perishable food items,” Goss said.

Many homeless people will eat the food set out, but the food is for anyone and everyone.

“We are a welcoming environment and anyone is always welcome,” said Steven Inness, volunteer with Food Not Bombs. “We never run out of food and Davis community members are inclined to bring their own meals to share.”

Recently, attendance to Food Not Bombs events has been low. According to Davis Food Not Bombs head volunteer Roger Ford the average turnout is between 10 and 20 people, but it fluctuates every week.

“The Davis Police have made Central Park a neutral ground,” Ford said. “Thus, when they see loiterers around, they tell them to leave.” In many instances these loiterers are the main Food Not Bomb visitors.

However, Ford is very optimistic about Food Not Bombs. The Davis chapter, Ford said, has inspired some volunteers to go back home and start their own Food Not Bombs chapters, including students in South Africa.

If you are interested in volunteering with Food Not Bombs, they recommend you start by joining them for a Sunday meal.

ANNABEL SANDHU can be reached at city@theaggie.org.

Retraction – Nov. 8, 2010: Source William Goss was quoted as saying that Foods Not Bombs cooks in the UC Davis Tri Co-ops’ kitchen.

Goss retracted this
statement to say that Food Not Bombs only donates food to the Tri Co-ops.