Swim and dive: Aggies lose Big West Tourney opener

With wind whipping against her back, sophomore Jennifer Meyer stands at the edge of the diving board ready to plunge.

Despite the testy weather, the Santa Rosa, Calif. native won her 3 Meter match against Fresno State last Saturday in the diving event.

“It was not ideal conditions at all,” said coach Barbara Jahn, “and Fresno State has some really good divers [to compete against.]”

As a team, the Aggies won 14 of 16 events and came away with definite win to add to their tally. Nine swimmers had season records in the meet against Fresno State.

“I didn’t expect fast swimming at this point in the season,” Jahn said. “They just got the job done.”

Even though Fresno State was strong at the top, the Aggies made their mark with depth.

Freshman Maya Sprinsock won the 500 Freestyle with a blow-out finish.

“This was her first college race that she won,” Jahn said. “She was really excited.”

Other standouts include junior Kayleigh Foley and senior Heidi Kucera.

Foley narrowly lost the 50 freestyle to Bulldog opponent, but came back 15 minutes later to beat the same Fresno State swimmer in the 100 freestyle.

Jahn was impressed by Foley’s ability to comeback despite the earlier loss.

Kucera won the 200 IM with her best time of the young season.

Jahn said the results from this weekend show the Aggies are headed in the right direction.

“I look not so much at the wins but at season best times,” Jahn said. “The work we’ve been doing in the weight room and pool is going to help us at the Arena Cup [next weekend]. “

Jahn believes the teams the Aggies have matched up against will only help them down the road.

“The competition we’ve had has been good preparation,” Jahn said. “Now we know what to do differently or improve upon and we can go from there.”

CALEIGH GUOYNES can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.