Women’s Basketball Preview

Teams: UC Davis at Pepperdine; at No. 15 UCLA

Records: Aggies, 2-0; Waves, 1-1; Bruins, 2-0

Where: Firestone Fieldhouse – Malibu, Calif.; Pauley Pavilion – Los Angeles

When: Friday at 7:00 p.m.; Sunday at 2 p.m.

Who to watch: Junior Vicky Deely has provided a spark off the bench for UC Davis.

The Sonoma, Calif. native scored 17 points in the Aggies’ first two games this season and is shooting 44 percent from three-point range.

Did you know? Sunday will mark the first time UC Davis has faced UCLA in nearly 30 years.

The teams’ most recent matchup took place in 1972 when the Bruins edged the Aggies 49-47 in the All Cal Tournament.

Preview: UC Davis is coming off two big wins but will have to be at the top of its game if it plans to remain undefeated this weekend.

The Aggies will face what could be their most difficult test of the year as they go on the road for two tough games.

The Aggies will begin with Pepperdine on Friday. Coach Sandy Simpson believes the Waves have a physically gifted team.

“They’re long and athletic,” he said. “They’ll bring the full court press and they do some surprise trapping, so we need to be alert. It should be a good test for us.”

From there, UC Davis will move on to face No. 15 UCLA, who will likely be the best team the Aggies face in the regular season. UC Davis is energized by their chance to make a statement.

“They’re excited about the game,” Simpson said. “I don’t think keeping our interest is going to be a problem this week.”

In order to come out on top, the Aggies will need to be at their best. UC Davis will need to crash the glass and force the Bruins to take low-percentage shots.

“Rebounding will be key,” Simpson said. “[The Bruins are] a dynamic offensive rebounding team and we need to negate that. We also need to defend their penetration and make them beat us from the outside.”

At the end of the day, however, Simpson believes it will come down to how the Aggies deal with the opponents’ defensive looks.

“In the end it’s going to be system versus system,” he said. “The team that keeps its poise against the other team’s defense will have the best chance to win.”

– Trevor Cramer