Monday, May 6, 2024

Column: Davis cafés

As the winter season fast approaches in Davis, I set out in my imaginary car to find cafés and coffee shops that will take in a cold, miserable student such as myself. Of course, you already know of two popular coffee shops around town that many students go to – Starbucks, located in all four corners of Davis, and Peet’s Coffee & Tea, located downtown and in The Marketplace.

But come on, dear reader. There is more than one option out there. Besides, when else are you going to live in a small college town where everything is so conveniently accessible to you? That’s right, never. So get in my imaginary car, buckle up and listen to my rules before we embark on one of our last adventures together. Number one: my sedan isn’t a party bus. Number two: no complaining. And number three: you’re paying for my purchases since I’m paying for gas. Now let’s get started.

Cloud Forest Café, at 222 D St., offers great coffee and amazing paninis. Their staff is always friendly, and if you need a place that offers quick to-go service on your way to work in the morning, then this is the place for you. They also offer fresh juices that are a great way to start your morning. One of my dear readers started going here after the Cargo Coffee at King Hall burned down. Who ever said nothing good comes out of disasters?

Mishka’s Café is styled as an “Old World” café that serves coffee, pastries and other little treats. You’ll usually find Mishka’s full of students taking advantage of the WiFi, and it’s hard to find seating throughout the day. Right now, they are located at 514 Second St., but they plan to move next door to the Varsity Theater in January, where they’ll be housed in a two story building (more seating!).

Konditorei is an Austrian pastry café located on Fifth Street. The owner, born in Austria, comes from a long line of “master bakers” and decided to open shop in 1990. Their coffee and drinks are great, but it’s their pastries that keep people coming back. If you want a nice, relaxing place to eat breakfast or lunch, then you can just sit inside or outside on their patio if it’s a nice day.

Common Grounds is a coffee shop located in South Davis in the Safeway shopping center. They have comfy couches and armchairs you can sit in while relaxing or browsing on the Internet, or you can sit in one of their regular tables and chairs if you need to get down to business. They sell smoothies as well as your regular munch-able food like brownies, truffles, croissants, etc.

Our last stop will be Barista Brew Café, located on G Street. It’s a great place to pick up your coffee and breakfast munchies. They offer friendly service and a relaxed environment to study. It also has a flat-screen TV and a lot of seating for its customers.

Now for the food tip of the week! As winter approaches close behind you, so do all the people with their coughing and sneezing nonsense. Listen kids, we need to take better care of ourselves. Do you think it’s fun being sick when it’s cold and rainy outside while catching the G line in the morning and getting close with 100 other students, trying to stifle a cough when you can’t hold it in any longer? Well I’ve been there, I sounded phlegm-y and unattractive, and I probably passed my cold on to 10 other people. I don’t wish the same for you.

So during this horrible weather, be sure to include these big three into your meals: vitamin C, vitamin E and beta-carotene. For vitamin C, drink your orange juice, eat some sweet potatoes, berries, cauliflower and grapefruit, and spritz your meals with limes or lemons. Vitamin E can be found in seeds, nuts, tomatoes, apples, kiwis, mangoes and other green veggies. Eat beta-carotene rich foods, such as red, orange and yellow fruits and veggies, such as carrots, peppers, pumpkins, mangos and papayas. Kale is also rich with both vitamin C and beta-carotene if you dare to eat it.

With these tips, I hope you get what you need for a cough-free winter! In other words, don’t let me catch you coughing or sniffling anywhere near me, or else I’ll shove your face in enough vitamin C, vitamin E and beta-carotene that you won’t get sick for the next 10 years. I’ll do it with love, obviously.

JENNIFER RICHWOOD hopes everyone has a safe and fun Thanksgiving! She can be reached at jcrichwood@ucdavis.edu.