Women’s Basketball Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Yale; vs. South Carolina

Records: Aggies, 3-1; Bulldogs, 1-2; Gamecocks 2-2

Where: The Pavilion

When: Friday at 5 p.m.; Sunday at 2 p.m.

Who to watch: The outside shooting of junior Kasey Riecks will be key for the Aggies in their upcoming games.

The Auburn, Calif. native shot 50 percent from beyond the arc against Pepperdine last Friday and will be looking for more this week.

Riecks is averaging eight points-per-game, and leads the team with 11 steals this season.

Did you know? Sunday’s game against South Carolina will mark just the second time in program history UC Davis have faced an SEC opponent.

The Aggies’ only other game against an SEC team came in 2005 when the Aggies lost to Auburn 69-54.

Preview: The Aggies will be looking to get back to their winning ways this week following the first loss of the season last Sunday.

UC Davis will get its first opportunity when it faces off against Yale on Friday.

The Aggies were able to top the Bulldogs on the road last season.

Despite having the home court advantage, coach Sandy Simpson knows disposing of Yale will be no easy task.

“They’re very aggressive and physical,” he said. “They’re well coached and they’ll be well prepared. It’s never easy when you play against them.”

From there, the Aggies will move on and welcome South Carolina into the Pavilion.

Simpson believes the Gamecocks will present a challenge comparable to what the Aggies saw against No. 15 UCLA Sunday.

“They’ll be similar to what we saw this past weekend,” he said. “They’ll be athletic and aggressive. In a way they’re a perfect opponent, because this game will be a measuring stick to see how we progressed this week.”

Despite the tough opposition, Simpson believes the key to being successful in these games is simple: create scoring chances by dealing defensive pressure.

“We need to handle pressure,” he said. “If we can do that we’ll get scoring opportunities, and we’ll convert. We know our defense will be good, we just can’t afford to give up opportunities in transition.”

– Trevor Cramer