Female Athlete of the Quarter

Every team needs that one dominating player.

For the women’s volleyball team, that athlete was Betsy Sedlak.

The middle blocker out of Pleasanton, Calif. was a dominant force for the Aggies all season en route to earning a spot on the Big West All- Conference First Team.

While coach Jamie Holmes wouldn’t pick one player as the team’s best, Sedlak’s contributions were very much welcomed.

“We were a steady team that got contributions from everyone,” Holmes said. “[Sedlak] was strong all year and really helped win matches.”

Sedlak’s was an incredibly efficient hitter, successfully killing the ball 39.5 percent of the time, which was best in the Big West and 16th best in the nation. Sedlak was second on the Aggies in kills with 286.

As impressive as Sedlak’s offensive statistics were, it was her performance on defense that stood out.

Sedlak led UC Davis in blocks with 146 and blocks per set with 1.28. Both of these totals were good for second overall in the Big West.

Arguably her most dominant performance came in a home game against UC Riverside late in the season.

Sedlak posted nine blocks in the three set sweep including seven in the opening game.

While Sedlak’s performance on the court was impressive, her demeanor off of it was also noteworthy.

“[Sedlak] helped set the tone,” Holmes said. “She holds herself to high standards and high expectations.”

For her performance this fall, The California Aggie names Sedlak the Female Athlete of the Quarter.

JASON ALPERT can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.