Winter Arts Preview: Art

Sure it’s cold, but that doesn’t mean you have to stay cooped up at home
all winter. UC Davis’ hottest tickets this quarter include a
full-length opera, shows by more than a few world-famous musicians and
movies featuring Johnny Depp as a chameleon and Neil Patrick Harris as a
blind tutor. We know you don’t want to miss out on any of this, so read
on for details.ART

Alejandro Rubin: New Work (Jan. 4-Feb. 25)

The Pence Gallery will host an exciting and colorful exhibit of new work by native Uruguayan Alejandro Rubio this January and February. The exhibit will feature his interpretation of his native land and includes vivid landscapes and perspectives. From the city streets to large-scale canvases, Rubio captures the energy of the land without over-complicating the art. He employs simple shapes with a simple color pallet, and still manages to convey an energetic and beautiful landscape. Ms. HF Richardson, Estelle Salzman, and Richard and Judy Wydick are sponsoring the exhibit.

Kelsey Einhorn, a junior political science major, cannot wait to see the exhibit.

“After I studied abroad in Brazil, I’m a huge fan of South American art, and this should be really beautiful,” she said.

Go to pencegallery.org for more information.

– Brittany Pearlman

American Gothic: Regionalist Portraiture from the Collection (Jan. 15-March 13)

In the new exhibition on display at The Nelson Gallery from Jan. 15 through March 13, artists depict the struggles and evolving complexities they face in everyday life. The exhibit, entitled American Gothic: Regionalist Portraiture from the Collection focuses on artists of the past 100 years in the Northern California area. Featured artists include Mark Tobey, Bruce Connor, Bruce Nauman, Anthony Hernandez, Chris Johanson and many more. Each piece on display aims to depict the colorful story of each individual story to fight for liberty and equality through various mediums.

The exhibit is free. For more information, visit nelsongallery.ucdavis.edu.

– Uyen Cao

Roy De Forest, John Gariepy & “Bark!” The Dog Show (Feb. 2-26)

Beginning Feb. 2, the John Natsoulas Art Gallery will host an art exhibition entitled “Bark!” The Dog Show, featuring art by Roy De Forest and John Gariepy. Forest was a UC Davis professor of art who passed away in May of 2007. His work, though focused primarily on dogs, also included various animals, people and sometimes even bright colors all mixed into one. His unique work ranges from canvas paintings to sculptures, and reflects a style unique to him and other artists from Northern California. It can be best described as “anti-art.”

Some may consider his work to be kitsch; however, Forest not only participated in an important art movement, but he also assisted in making the UC Davis art department one of the most highly competitive in the country.

For more information, go to natsoulas.com.

– Lea Murillo

Wildlife Art Exhibit (Feb. 9-25)

Fauna and forests and ducks galore! Davis Art Center’s annual Wildlife Art Exhibit is coming this February.

The exhibit, which benefits the Yolo county wetlands festival “California Duck Days,” will display over 200 pieces of art, in mediums including watercolor, photos, sculptures and more.

All artwork will be created by students from high schools in the surrounding area. Their work will be based on the assigned wildlife theme.

According to Betty Berteaux, one of the exhibit’s organizers, the show is a fantastic opportunity to promote both young artists and art in the Davis area.

“It is a showcase for young talent in this area. The teachers value this show as an integral part of their art curriculum – for its relationship to environmental education. It is one of the few opportunities for high school age students to show their work in a well-attended and prestigious venue,” she said.

Go to davisartcenter.org for more information.

– Anneta Konstantinides

THE ARTS DESK can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.