Monday, April 15, 2024

Swim and Dive Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Pacific; at Nevada

Where: Schaal Aquatic Center; Lombardi Pool – Reno, Nev.

When: Friday at 3 p.m.; Saturday at noon

Records: Aggies, 6-2; Tigers, 5-2; Wolf Pack, 1-4

Who to watch: Senior Ashley Chandler has been an electric force for the Aggies in the pool.

The Newport Beach, Calif. native holds the school record for the 100 backstroke at 54.03 seconds.

Did You Know? Since UOP does not compete in diving, UC Davis will automatically have a major point advantage. The points the Aggies’ get from diving still count in the overall team score.

Preview: With just over a month until Mountain Sports Pacific Federation Championships, the Aggies are ready to jump back in the pool.

UC Davis has already won six of eight and placed sixth at the highly competitive Texas Invitational before winter break.

The Friday matchup against University of the Pacific is the next on the Aggies’ list of dual matches.

Head coach Barbara Jahn will use the opportunity to see more of what her competitors are capable of.

“We are going to move people around in different events to see if they can compete strongly in areas in which they don’t have much experience,” Jahn said. “We are also trying to balance putting people in events they are already strong in.”

She mentioned strong performances this season from Chandler and senior Linda Hermann, collectively putting up excellent times in the freestyle and backstroke events.

Just 21 hours after the home meet against Pacific, the Aggies will trek up Interstate 80 to take on Nevada in what will be a tough match for UC Davis.

“To begin with, Reno is at a higher altitude than Davis, so right off the bat they have an advantage because they have been training at the higher altitude,” Jahn said. “Plus, they have very good swimmers.”

Unlike the UOP Tigers, Reno competes in diving, so the point advantage will be gone for UC Davis.

– Ron Hooper