Consignment store hopes to expand business and incorporate community

Jacksonfly, a recycled clothing and consignment store downtown, is hoping to expand beyond just selling clothing.

Hidden behind Peet’s Coffee and Newsbeat, the E Street store started business in October and is open from noon to 6 p.m. daily. The business only accepts cash and checks, or trading of goods.

Those working for the store are gathering student-made art, films and clothing to display and sell in the store. They are hoping to host live music, film events and art exhibitions this month as well, said Elizabeth Stitt, a senior international relations and political science major, who is coordinating events for the store.

“We want to extend our events into different academic realms, including the sciences and politics, but we’ll see how this month goes,” Stitt said. “We’ve already started gathering some artwork and films from students.”

The store name comes from the owner Justin Jackson’s Twitter name.

Jackson, a host of “This Week in Science on KDVS,” said he is looking to feature local artwork on the walls of the store, along with utilizing the back room of the store for performances.

Jackson grew up in Davis and decided to open the store because he felt there was not anywhere decent to shop for clothes. He said he noticed how many people had clothes to bring to Buffalo Exchange consignment store in Sacramento.

“As a kid in town, you want to go to shows,” Jackson said. “But in a bar – can’t go if you’re under 21, so we want to have a place for shows, still for profit, but where you can buy jeans instead of beer.”

He is considering creating a podcast and doing part of his KDVS show in the store, with a live audience. He said he will need to figure out how to get proper internet connection in the store.

Jackson said he came up with the idea for the store in August.

“I was looking for something to do,” he said. “It was that or opening a mini-micro-brewery and I went with clothing instead.”

Shiva Shahmir, the store manager, KDVS DJ and events coordinator, said the store has no real promotion and is in a difficult location for sales because it is so hidden.

“It’s especially hard to run a business at this location,” Shahmir said. “We’re still hoping for it to be a “Do It Yourself” type structure, which is great because it is a place that students can create and also find affordable clothes in.”

Davis Downtown Business Association director Joy Cohan said, in general, the association is concerned for the well being of all retail.

“We are all experiencing a difficult time as economy recovers,” Cohan said. “It is a good sign when new businesses open despite the economy.”

ASUCD Entertainment Council co-production coordinator Henry Chatfield said he talked with Shahmir and would love to have some events, but nothing has been finalized.

Stitt stressed how those involved in the store are pushing for a location where young people can share their creativity.

“KDVS is sort of an alternative to alternative, and that reflects in the store,” Stitt said. “We started out as a clothing store, but we want to develop it into a venue for students and community members to express their artistic ideas and opinions.”

ANGELA SWARTZ can be reached city@theaggie.org.