Aggie swimmers make waves in final home meet

Senior day is meant to honor the athletes who have given so much representing UC Davis on the field, track, diamond, court or pool for the last four years.

It is a day meant to be a satisfying memory. Saturday, by any standard, turned out to be a good senior day.

Liliana Alvarez, Kayleigh Foley and Linda Hermann each won two individual events to lead the UC Davis women’s swimming and diving team to a 200-93 victory over Cal State Bakersfield Saturday at Schaal Aquatics Center.

The senior day victory was the Aggies’ third straight dual meets win, improving their record to 4-0 in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation and 9-2 overall.

Coach Barbara Jahn was very pleased with how her seniors have performed over the past few years.

“We are extremely proud of what they have accomplished as student-athletes,” Jahn said.

Hermann, one of eight Aggie seniors honored in a pre-meet ceremony, finished first in the 200 freestyle and won the 200-backstroke.

Foley shined in the sprint freestyle events. The junior led an Aggie sweep of the 50-freestyle, winning with a time of 23.94.

Alvarez was victorious in both breaststroke events, winning the 100-breast and edging senior teammate Heidi Kucera in the 200-breaststroke.

“This was considered another meet to prepare for the conference championships,” Jahn said .

With a chance to go 11-2 this season, the idea of championship is not out of the question. UC Davis closes out the dual meet season with back-to-back competitions at Cal Poly and at UC Santa Barbara.

“One of our greatest strengths as a team is our depth,” Jahn said. “We have many strong performers in all areas of competition.”

The Aggies visit Cal Poly Friday afternoon at 2 p.m., and then conclude the year with an 11 a.m. meet against Santa Barbara on Saturday.

After the regular season, the swimmers go to the MPSF championship meet, which runs from Feb. 23 to 26.

RON HOOPER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.