Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Artists have opportunity to beautify campus

Who needs Eggheads? Artists are invited to submit their work for public display in three contests. Read on for submission guidelines and deadlines.

Coho Gallery juried show

Deadline: Feb. 11 at 5 p.m.

The ASUCD Aggie Public Arts Committee is holding a collection of ASUCD Coffee House artwork for its CampusBeautiful Movement.

The committee is looking for not only painted works of art but also photographs, sketches and drawings. Submitted pieces must be able to be hung on a wall and be presented in a professional manner.

The Aggie Public Arts Committee is dedicated to promoting and facilitating public art, created by students, on the UC Davis campus.

“The CoHo closing for a year led to a loss of community within the students,” said Debs Schrimmer, Aggie Public Arts commissioner and junior community and regional development and Latin double major. “But when it reopened it became a prime location for a project like this.”

The works will then hang in the newly created space for a quarter before being rotated with other works. A panel of committee members will select the works of art.

“There is no specific style we are looking for,” Schrimmer said. “We just want to make sure that it’s relatable to student life and not too inappropriate.”

The contest is open to all students and everyone in the community is encouraged to apply.

Forms and images may be turned in to 101 Art during regular hours or e-mailed to aggiepublicartscommittee@gmail.com.

ARC mural designs

Deadline: Feb. 11 at 5 p.m.

CampusBeautiful project is putting out a call to all artists to present designs for murals to be painted in various parts of the Activities and Recreations Center.

“The ARC is one of the few buildings on campus that is run and funded almost fully by students,” Schrimmer said. “It’s a hub for student life. Classes are taught here, people come to work out, to study, even to just get a cup of coffee.”

There will be roughly six locations for student-designed work to be displayed. The themes and styles of the pieces are up to the artists but ideally should reflect student life. The designs must be original.

“We don’t want just cows and bicycles,” Schrimmer said. “But these murals are more permanent so we want some regionally inspired works.”

Mural locations will go in the student lounge, conference center entrance, the wall across from the basketball courts, the second floor exercise room/Pavilion walkway and in the Pavilion lobby.

“Public art is a way of doing the direct opposite of what hate vandalism does so that we can fight it in a positive way,” said Daniel Olivas, chair of the Aggie Public Arts Committee and senior film studies and art studio double major. “We aren’t looking for anything that would offend, exclude or oppress anyone or any community.”

After the selection process the artists whose works have been chosen will be highly involved in the execution of the works.

Each applicant must submit a completed submission form with an attached design proposition in the ARC. All community submissions are welcomed, but students are preferred.

The Basement Gallery

Deadline: Feb. 4, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The art department’s student-run gallery is accepting submissions for its annual Winter Awards Show. Any and all works in any media is accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.

In previous years, the amount of work submitted exceeded the gallery’s space so this year there is a two-piece limit per person. And every applicant is guaranteed one space.

“We’re looking to expand our presence on campus,” said Daniel Zaks, Basement Gallery director and fifth-year arts and physics double major. “With the Awards Show, people come and drop off their work for possible scholarships and prestige.”

The award show is the best time to see the art gallery because directors try and make sure that the most talented and smart works of art get the recognition they deserve. The Gallery will officially open with the works Feb. 7 and will stay up at least two weeks. The directors are hoping to announce the winners during the closing reception.

The Basement Gallery is a student-run, student-organized art gallery located on campus. The mission is to create an exciting art space of sophisticated and professional art shows that appeal to diverse crowds and that highlight the quality work being made by students.

Submissions must be dropped off Friday between the hours of 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. in the Art Building. For more information e-mail student.art.gallery@gmail.com.

ANASTASIA ZHURAVLEVA can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.