Women’s Gymnastics Preview

Teams: No. 38 UC Davis vs. Air Force

Record: Aggies, 5-1; Falcons, 1-6

Where: The Pavilion

When: Friday at 7p.m.

Who to watch: After achieving the team’s high score on the uneven bars last Friday, senior Jessica Rea plans to lead the pack again this week.

“Jessica and all the other seniors are showing great leadership,” coach John Lavallee said.

The Haddonfield, N.J. native was voted co-captain of the squad along with senior Stacey Nicolini. Lavallee said the seniors are helping the team move forward with their positive attitudes. Many seniors are also setting precedents with performances.

Did you know? Currently, UC Davis is ranked 38th in the nation, just two places below qualifying for NCAA Regionals.

Preview: With another tough dual meet against a Mountain Pacific Sports Federation foe this weekend at home, it’s safe to say the Aggies are pumped.

“This will be two conference foes going toe to toe,” Lavallee said. “[Air Force has] a great coach and some strong competition.”

Last week, UC Davis scored a 192.375 over Seattle Pacific and the Falcons came in just behind Minnesota with a 191.500. With the scores of both the Aggies and Falcons being so close, Lavallee is expecting another tight match-up.

“They are really not that far behind us,” Lavallee said. “I predict this meet will be close on all four of our events.”

One of the things working against the Aggies is their health. A few UC Davis gymnasts are recovering from illness and injury, so Lavallee expects the meet to be particularly challenging.

“There’s got to be a group effort,” Lavallee said. “We are going to have to be on our best game to ensure a victory.”

The Aggies will still have senior Marcy Miller competing. The senior earned her third MPSF Gymnast of the Week Award this year for her play against Seattle Pacific last Friday.

Lavallee is proud of not only Miller’s performance this year, but his entire senior core.

“It’s comforting when you have a strong core of seniors who have experience,” Lavallee said. “They know what’s coming and they are prepared for it.”

– Caleigh Guoynes