Campus Judicial Report

Identical answers are no accident

A first-year student was reported to Student Judicial Affairs (SJA) for cheating during a midterm. Two TAs observed the student frequently glancing at the test of the student in front of her. After comparing the two tests, they found that the multiple-choice answers of the two students were almost identical. When meeting with a judicial officer, the student admitted to cheating and said that she wasn’t ready for the exam due to personal issues. She also stated that she did not know the student who she cheated off of and was apologetic. Because this was her first referral, she agreed to the sanctions of disciplinary probation until winter 2012 and completion of a writing assignment. In addition, she was referred to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) for stress management.

Misuse of the answer key

A professor reported a senior for submitting someone else’s work as her own. The professor stated that on days assignments are due, he passes out the answer key and the students are responsible for correcting their own work before turning it in for credit. However, the professor noticed that this student’s assignment had no corrections marked, only the work that matched the answer key. When she met with a judicial officer, the student admitted to copying the assignment from the answer key and submitting it as her own work. She said that she didn’t have enough time and felt pressured. The student agreed to the sanctions of 15 hours of community service and a delay of graduation for one quarter. This means that the student’s graduation will be delayed for one full quarter after she is eligible to graduate, and she is not permitted to take courses at UC Davis during this time.

True or false

A sophomore was reported to SJA for providing false information to a police officer. The police officer stopped the student in connection to an incident involving alcohol and asked to see his identification. The student told the police officer that he didn’t have an ID on him. However, when the officer searched his car, the student’s wallet was found with identification in it. When meeting with the judicial officer, the student stated that he did tell the truth as he did not have the ID on his physical person and he was so shocked by the whole ordeal that he forgot his wallet was in the car. He also stated that he had given the police officer correct information about who he was and where he lived, so he did not feel like he did anything wrong. Because this was the student’s first referral, the student was given a non-disciplinary administrative notice, which means that the student was not found in violation. Providing false information to a university official is a violation of the UC Standards of Conduct for Students, and if he is found in violation of the same policy later on, he will face disciplinary probation or deferred separation.

CAMPUS JUDICIAL REPORTS are compiled by members of Student Judicial Affairs.