Aggie Senate Briefs

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the Feb. 10 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room.Meeting called to order at 6:11 p.m. Jack Zwald, ASUCD president, arrived at 7:19, left early at 8:06Previn Witana, ASUCD vice president, presentOzzy Arce, ASUCD senator, presentEmmanuel Diaz-Ordaz, ASUCD senator, presentOsahon Ekhator, ASUCD senator, absentAndre Lee, ASUCD senator, temporary pro tempore, presentTatiana Moana Bush, ASUCD senator, presentDarwin Moosavi, ASUCD senator, presentMatthew Provencher, ASUCD senator, presentSelisa Romero, ASUCD senator, arrived late at 6:23Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD senator, presentAlison Tanner, ASUCD senator, absentAdam Thongsavat, ASUCD senator, presentLiz Walz, ASUCD senator, presentPresentationsKase Wheatley, a Tri Co-op resident, said that the Domes have been deemed structurally unsafe and therefore will be shut down. He asked the senate for help and support.

Unit Director Reports

Members of AS Papers presented their goals for the upcoming months and asked for senate support monetarily through the rest of the year.

Hannah Kirshner, director of The Pantry, reported that the unit has been open for five weeks, and that both the unit and the adopt-a-week program were running smoothly.

Don Gibson, director of City and County Affairs, said Housing Day was a success.

Status of Legislation Previously Passed

Zwald vetoed Student Ballot Initiative 1, a bill that would have given students more say in Intercollegiate Athletics funding, due to legal issues. Senate took no action, so the veto stands.

Consideration of Old Legislation

Senate Bill 35, authored and introduced by Walz, to allocate $121.56 from Capital Reserves to purchase a custom frame for the Oil Canvas painting donated to the Angelina Malfitano Conference Room from Band-uh! and an 8.5 by 11 inch frame for the accompanying letter, passed with a 10-0-2 vote.

Senate Bill 38, authored by Amy Martin, co-authored and introduced by Lee, to require all records of commissions and Outreach Assembly meetings to be posted on the ASUCD website, passed with a 10-0-2 vote.

Senate Bill 39, authored by Martin, co-authored by Caitlin Alday and introduced by Diaz-Ordaz, to remove all binary gender references from the ASUCD bylaws, passed with a 9-0-3 vote.Senate Bill 45, authored by Thongsavat, co-authored by Joey Chen, Charlie Colato, Diaz-Ordaz, Sterling and Alicia Woelffer, and introduced by Thongsavat, to amend the Picnic Day budget to reflect new sources of income and redistribute funds within the unit, passed with a 10-0-2 vote.

Past Meeting MinutesApproved.Meeting adjourned at 9:22 p.m.AKSHAYA RAMANUJAM compiles the senate briefs. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.