Wednesday, May 8, 2024

UC Davis anything but uneven on bars at quad meet

Coach John Lavallee knew Friday’s quad meet at San Jose State was going to be loud.

He wasn’t surprised.

In this heated battle between San Jose State, Boise State, Seattle Pacific and UC Davis, the Aggies came in third place with a score of 192.325.

The Aggies move to 7-3 with four meets left on the schedule.

Despite the third place finish, Lavallee was proud of the way his team performed at the competition.

“We are trying to maximize our performance for championships,” Lavallee said. “Right now we are really focused on hitting our routines in competition. We had an amazing performance on bars and vault, and our floor was awesome.”

The team posted a score of 48.95 on the uneven bars, the second highest score for that event in school history and the best in over a decade.

Seniors Jessica Rea and Marcy Miller led the Aggies on the bars, each achieving a tally of 9.825. This was a personal best for both gymnasts.

“Marcy and Jessica are very, very strong,” Lavallee said. “They don’t give away any execution. They perform all their skills with amplitude and precision.”

Three other Aggies also beat their personal record on the bars. Seniors Stacey Nicolini and Michelle Hurlock scored 9.800 and 9.775, respectively. Freshman Anna Shumaker tallied 9.725.

While UC Davis performed exceptionally well on the bars, they struggled on the beam, which brought the team score down.

Lavallee hopes the team will regain its confidence on the beam in practice in anticipation for the Aggies’ next meet.

Next Sunday, UC Davis will host rival California.

Lavallee and the rest of the Aggies encourage fans to come out and support the team.

“It’s really great to have a big home crowd in the stands,” said junior Erika Van Dyke. “It really helps the team. You can just feel the energy.”

CALEIGH GUOYNES can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.