Aggies bully Bulldogs

Saturday’s women’s lacrosse match was domination from start to finish for the Aggies.

UC Davis scored at will and shut down Fresno State on its way to a 21-5 blowout victory.

The Aggies started the game on fire.

UC Davis, behind first half hat tricks by seniors Christina Corsa and Gina Hoffmire, gained an 11-3 advantage at the break.

While Corsa was effective finding the net, her main contribution was the way she distributed the ball to her teammates.

“Corsa is great at feeding the ball,” Hoffmire said. “She knows everybody’s tendencies and she knows where we all want the ball. She exploited that today.”

The Aggies kept rolling in the second half en route to their first victory of the season.

Hoffmire finished the game with five goals and two assists, as she used her quickness to spark the Aggies’ offense.

“My strength is my speed,” Hoffmire said, “and I tried to use that to my advantage today. I know my role is to use my quickness whether it’s attacking the goal or passing the ball.”

Sophomore Anna Geissbuhler added another five goals and an assist for the Aggies.

“[Geissbuhler] has great vision and she uses her hands really well,” Hoffmire said. “She was able to use that today and create opportunities.”

Hannah Mirza also added three goals in the game.

Of the Aggies’ 45 shots, 33 were on goal.

Not only did UC Davis have a strong game on the offensive end, it had a strong day defensively as well.

The Aggies held the Bulldogs to just six shots, five of which were on target.

“Our defense was outstanding in this game,” said coach Elaine Jones. “We locked down Fresno when they had the ball. Vannessa Jamison really led us on the defensive end.”

Jamison paced the game with five turnovers caused, and contributed on the offensive end with a goal and two assists.

While the Aggies expected to get a victory over the winless Bulldogs, executing in this game was an essential part of UC Davis’ season.

The win brought the Aggies to 1-1 for the season and allowed them to keep pace with the rest of the Mountain Pacific Sports Conference as they head into a string of 10 non-conference games.

“It was important for us to get our first win,” Hoffmire said. “We need to keep focusing one game at a time. Heading into this stretch of non-conference games this will help us keep our eyes on the prize.”

TREVOR CRAMER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.