Aggies trample Golden Bears 

On Sunday, the Aggies put it all out on the floor.

UC Davis won all four events, landing a score of 194.050 and bringing their record up to 8-3.

Coach John Lavallee hopes that the team will continue to post scores in the 194-range so that they can bring up their national ranking and get the ticket to regionals.

Lavallee knows the team has the talent and hopes they can continue to show it during competition.

“We are excited to carry our tough, strong and determined attitude forward,” Lavallee said.

For many Aggies, this was a record-breaking meet.

Seniors Marcy Miller and Stacey Nicolini both achieved career highs in the all-around with scores of 38.825 and 38.775, respectively.

“I was not keeping track of my scores as I went along,” Miller said. “Getting a personal best kind of caught me off guard. I just focused on each event as it came. I didn’t get a personal best on any one event, but I was consistent throughout the meet.”

Junior Erika Van Dyke also had impressive performances.

The Sacramento native won the balance beam with a score of 9.775, the only Aggie to place in that event. Van Dyke also shared the gold on the floor exercise with teammate Michelle Ho posting a score of 9.850.

Freshman Anna Shumaker was also an asset to the team. Winning the vault and uneven bars, the Alameda, Calif. local helped boost the team score past the 194 barrier.

“Everyone was acting like a team,” Shumaker said. “This was one of our best meets this year. I think we deserved that score, but I think we can do even better next time.”

The Aggies are hoping to peak at the right time. UC Davis has three more meets before the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships.

The Aggies will match-up with Oregon State, Washington and San Jose State Friday in Corvallis, Ore.

CALEIGH GUOYNES can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.