Thursday, May 9, 2024

Women’s Gymnastics Preview

Teams: UC Davis at. Oregon State; vs. San Jose State; vs. Washington

Record: Aggies, 8-3; Beavers, 10-5; Spartans, 9-3; Huskies, 4-6;

Where: Legendary Gill Coliseum – Corvallis, Ore.

When: Friday at 7 p.m.

Who to watch:  Junior Erika Van Dyke performs each move on the floor with elegance. One of the tallest gymnasts on the team standing at 5-foot-6, the Sacramento native is known for her unique ballet style.

“Her body type lends to a more elegant movement and style,” coach John Lavallee said. “She is really able to show that off. Erika is really off the charts with her performance. She’s just had an amazing season.”

Lavallee predicts Van Dyke will be able to represent UC Davis in post-season individual competitions.

Did you know? Current national rankings place Oregon State sixth in the nation, with Washington at 11, San Jose State at 29 and UC Davis at 38.

Preview: Up against some the strongest programs in the nation, Friday’s quad meet will be heated.

“These are some very high quality teams,” Lavallee said. “This is really a chance to test ourselves.”

There will be a predicted crowd of nearly 4,000, and all four events occurring simultaneously is sure to make this event loud.

Lavallee predicts that the raucous, vivacious atmosphere will get the team going and help them post high scores they achieved last Sunday against rival California.

“This group really seems to feed off that energy from the stands,” Lavallee said. “I am eager to get out there on the floor on Friday and show that we are a solid program.”

The Aggies are coming into the meet hot, after topping the Golden Bears with a season high score of 194.050. This total was the ninth highest score in school history.

Because of her career high in the all-around, senior Marcy Miller captured the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Gymnast of the Week honors – her fourth time receiving the award. UC Davis has claimed five of the seven weekly honors of the 2011 campaign.

– Caleigh Guoynes