Women’s Lacrosse Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Saint Mary’s

Records: Aggies 1-1; Gaels 0-1

Where: Aggie Stadium

When: Friday at 3 p.m.

Who to watch: Junior Vannessa Jamison has been a standout player for the Aggies on the defensive end – leading the team with six turnovers caused and seven ground balls.

The Poway, Calif. native has also contributed offensively, already tying her career-highs for goals and assists in a season, with one and two, respectively.

Did you know? UC Davis has defeated Saint Mary’s in 11 straight meetings.

The Aggies have not fallen to the Gaels since they took a 12-8 home loss on Feb. 28, 2006.

Preview: UC Davis is in for an interesting challenge this week.

Although the Aggies are facing Mountain Sports Pacific Federation foe Saint Mary’s, this week’s matchup isn’t an official conference game and will not count in the league standings.

Regardless of the contest’s lack of playoff implications, however, the Aggies are prepared to attack the game with the same energy they would put into a normal conference match.

“We approach it the same way we would a league game,” said senior Gina Hoffmire. “We definitely want to bring the intensity, regardless of the situation.”

Hoffmire always brings maximum effort when the Aggies face the Gaels.

The Corte Madera, Calif. native scored four goals in both of UC Davis’ matches against Saint Mary’s last season and is primed to repeat that performance this year.

One question entering this week’s contest is what the Aggies’ goalkeeper situation will be.

After playing the second half against California in the season opener, freshman Jordan Majka played the entire game against Fresno State last weekend. Although Majka allowed just five goals, she did not record a save in the contest.

Coach Elaine Jones said she has not yet made a decision on whether Majka or senior Kjersten Nordmeyer will start against the Gaels.

Regardless of who is in goal, though, Jones expects the game to be tight.

“[Saint Mary’s] is always tough to play against, no matter what,” she said. “We just need to go out and get another win.”

– Trevor Cramer