Ham it up for Pig Day

It’s finally here! Pigs will not fly, but dance, eat and eat some more this Saturday at the annual Pig Day at the Davis Farmers Market.

The downtown event will feature pork ribs, pulled pork sandwiches, pork on pizzas and pork stir-fry sourced by Bledsoe Pork. John Bledsoe, of Woodland, first started selling pork at the Farmers Market seven years ago.

Sutter Davis Hospital’s Live Cooking Station will also be preparing and sampling pork stir-fry, using Bledsoe pork and other market-sourced vegetables. The hospital will hand out recipe cards for the stir-fry created by Josue Montalban, operations manager of the hospital’s nutrition and food services.

Fat Face will offer breakfast sandwiches – fried eggs with either pulled pork or bacon on foccacia. Monticello, a restaurant in Davis, will offer pulled pork sandwiches. The Hotdogger will be offering pigs-in-a-blanket. Upper Crust Bakery will feature pig pops – sweet French bread on a stick, in the shape of a pig’s head. Gold Rush Kettle Korn will be serving piggie popcorn. The Yolo County Food Bank also hosts a farm breakfast of pancakes, bacon and juice, with proceeds benefiting the local community.

There will be people in pig costumes, along with a petting zoo of piglets. Pony Ranch Parties is providing pony rides. Craft booths will be open to children to make pig tails, pig noses as well as piggie masks. Booths are sponsored by the Davis Parent Nursery School, Davis Community Church Nursery School and UC Davis Rotaract Club.

One can have their photo taken with The Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf. Randii MacNear, who has been executive director of the Davis Farmer’s Market for over 30 years, will make her annual appearance as Ms. Piggy.

MacNear said since the event began two decades ago, it still has maintained its homey, country fair type feel.

“It’s interesting, because it really hasn’t changed that much,” MacNear said. “People don’t want you to change something they look forward to so much. The theme is still pigs, country, agriculture, community and enjoying and tasting dishes.”

MacNear said a new part of the day this year is live dance performances.

Pamela Trokanski’s Dance Theatre group will perform a six-minute Big Pig Jig – a dance performance and flash-mob – at 11 a.m., 11:45 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on the Oak Tree Deck.

“Pig Day will kick off a year of dance in public places,” Trokanski said. “Dance will happen in everyday life when you are least expecting it!”

Entertainment will also include the Americana Peter Franklin Band.

Shar Katz, one of Caffé Italia’s owners, has partnered with Artisan Baking on Wheels to make “pizzas with a purpose”- benefitting Davis Farm to School – at the Davis Farmers Market. Katz said their pizza toppings will be sourced from local farmers and producers and will change seasonally.

“This is our first time at Pig Day as a business,” Katz said. “Any community event is great that teaches children about having fun with food.”

Pig Day will be held on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

ANGELA SWARTZ can be reached city@theaggie.org.