Seniors with win

Senior Night for every sport can be emotional.

For the UC Davis gymnastics team, a win on Senior Night helped ease the pain.

The Aggies cruised over Mountain Pacific Sports Federation rival Seattle Pacific 193.175-188.875 for the Senior Night victory. With the win, UC Davis moves into the tail of its season with a record of 9-6.

The Aggies took first, second and third place on the vault, balance beam and floor exercise en route to the victory.

Sophomores Michelle Ho, Taryn West, Katie Yamamura and freshman Ida Shaffer all achieved lifetime bests in their events.

While there was a match to be played, the night was dedicated to the seniors as they were honored before the match to commemorate their role in UC Davis athletics.

“We have come so far since my freshman year,” said senior Michele Hurlock. “I can’t wait to come back and watch the team as an alumna.”

After their four-year college careers at UC Davis, the seniors expressed their bittersweet feelings about leaving the team.

“I feel like it came all too quick,” said senior Jessica Rea. “I’m sad to leave the team. I’m going to miss the support, trust and love of my teammates and coaches.”

Hurlock agreed with Rea, adding it’s time for her body to take a break from the sport.

“I am going to miss this sport,” Hurlock said. “But I feel like my body can’t handle it anymore. It’s time to throw in the towel.”

After the meet, the coaches ran a slideshow highlighting all the seniors.

Hurlock reflected on her best memory out of the four years she has been competing as an Aggie.

“I just remember getting my career high on the beam my sophomore year at Stanford,” Hurlock said. “I got a 9.85. It was the most confident I have ever felt. I was a beam diva.”

Even though this was the team’s last home match, there is still one more meet before the MPSF Championships.

Next week, the Aggies will travel across the Causeway to face Sacramento State and Boise State in their last competition before conference championships.

CALEIGH GUOYNES can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.