Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Eggert, Began help UC Davis extend six-game win streak

In their last home action against Indiana, the Aggies couldn’t quite close out the Hoosiers in a 15-13 overtime loss.

Last weekend, the Aggies proved that they could finish games and dominate opponents at Schaal Aquatic Center at ease.

The Aggies took all four games of the annual Aggie Shootout this weekend, winning with both a balanced offense and an intimidating defense that only surrendered six goals in the last two games.

Saturday – No. 15 UC Davis 9, Sonoma State 5

Sophomore Carmen Eggert was an offensive catalyst against Sonoma State Saturday morning.

An Eggert pass led to an Ariel Feeney goal for the first score of the game. Eggert also took advantage of a 6-on-5 to give the Aggies a two-goal lead.

Eggert would also convert on another power play later in the game. Despite the tight score, the Seawolves never really threatened the Aggies as UC Davis earned its first home win of the year.

Coach Jamey Wright was especially pleased with the victory.

“[The Seawolves] play solidly,” Wright said. “They’re good. [The game] wasn’t easy, but we put ourselves at the right places at the right times.”

Saturday – UC Davis 12, Cal State East Bay 8

The Aggies rode a strong first-half defense and a second-half offense to top the Pioneers Saturday afternoon.

UC Davis surrendered just three goals in the opening half and entered the break up one.

But the second half brought a 5-0 run that separated the Aggies from the Pioneers.

Eggert led the team with four goals against Cal State East Bay, showcasing her finishing ability on offense as well as her defensive presence.

“There aren’t many players with her quickness and her type of athleticism,” Wright said. “She’s got ridiculously strong legs and she can get up into passing lanes. But her best attribute is she can quickly drive and attack the cage.”

Sunday – UC Davis 10, Santa Clara 3

Sunday’s games were junior Alicia Began’s time to shine.

Began earned a hat trick against the Broncos, pacing a dinged-up Aggie offense.

The center from Camarillo, Calif. was dominant early. Scoring on three straight possessions, Began pushed the Aggies to an early 5-1 lead in the first quarter.

The Aggies didn’t let up due to the bench’s ability to maintain intensity and energy.

“The second unit wasn’t just there to give our first string a breather,” Wright said. “The second group actually extended the lead.”

Sunday – UC Davis 10, Pacific 3

Against Pacific, the Aggies again utilized their first and second units, allowing them to put a pressure defense in the pool at all times.

UC Davis remained close in the game until a game-tying goal by Eggert gave the Aggies the momentum.

UC Davis scored three quick goals and would later dominate the second half en route to the big victory.

Against the Tigers, the second unit was particularly successful on offense.

“Six of our 10 goals were from [athletes] who didn’t start,” Wright said. “That’s the type of offensive balance you want. We are a really deep team.”

With the four wins, the Aggies are riding a six-game winning streak. They will face Sonoma State in a rematch on Saturday, followed quickly by Harvard and Fresno Pacific on Monday.

MATT WANG can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.