Artwork to adorn walls of 24-hour room next quarter

The 24-hour study room may be getting a makeover soon. Well, maybe not a full makeover, but definitely a brush up. The Aggie Public Arts Committee has planned to hang student artwork in the room before the end of the school year.

“The 24-hour room is a great resource on campus that has a lot of potential to grow,” said Daniel Olivas, Aggie Public Arts Committee chair, in an e-mail interview. “Shields Library has plenty of art fueling students with creativity and that’s an area where the 24-hour room can improve in.”

The actual library features a number of different pieces of art as well as photographs of early farmers, but the 24-hour room remains bare.

“[The artwork] will surely make the place look less dreary,” said Randolph Siverson, university librarian and professor emeritus of political science. “To say it looks plain would be an understatement.”

The Aggie Public Arts Committee will ask different clubs on campus to help decorate the room.

“For a fee, a club can work with one of the artists on our committee who will design a mural that captures the identity and mission of their club,” said Debs Schrimmer, committee member. “A club can then decide if they would like the Aggie Public Arts Committee to professionally paint the mural, or have their club get their hands dirty and paint it themselves under the guidance of our committee.”

Olivas is excited to build upon and create a new culture within the 24-hour room.

“The art in this space will be made by students, for students and inspired by students,” Olivas said. “Davis offers so much to the community, and the students here experience such a tremendous impact because of it. The Aggie Public Arts Committee is about showing what the students have to offer.”

The committee hopes that the pieces will be ready to go up by the fourth week of spring, although the project is still in its developing stages. Siverson, however, is on board whenever the committee is ready to start sprucing up the room.

“It’s like studying in a refrigerator, but without the food,” Siverson said.

In addition to the 24-hour room, the committee has had its hands full this last quarter. They are currently taking submissions for murals in the Activities and Recreation Center. Over spring break, the group will hang up the winning pieces from the ASUCD Coffee House art contest, as part of the Campus Beautiful Movement.

ANDY VERDEROSA can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.

1. Waste of money, resources, etc Other than having more space available to the people that really need the last minute studying, that room does not need a makeove