CD review: Lupe Fiasco

Artist: Lupe Fiasco

Album: Lasers

Label: Atlantic

Rating: 5

In a market stuffed with auto-tuned tracks that have all begun to sound the same, Lupe Fiasco’s highly anticipated follow-up to his celebrated Lupe Fiasco’s The Cool (2007) proves that the wait was worth it.

Lasers is a prime example of why Lupe Fiasco is one of the most interesting hip-hop/rap artists of the decade. The album is packed with 14 original songs, each of which sounds completely distinguished from the other. Fiasco’s skills, both in rapping and singing, are superb. His lyrics continue to be as thought provoking and intellectual as they were on such previous tracks as “Baba Says Cool For Thought.” There are a number of songs, including “Out of My Head” featuring Trey Songz, that are as radio friendly as “Superstar” was a few years back, and fantastic collaborations with new artists like Skylar Grey and MDMA.

Fiasco has spoken out in interviews that the album’s delay was largely due to disputes with his record label, which believed that Lasers didn’t contain enough “hit single” material. Thankfully, it seems that Fiasco won the battle. Lasers is a breath of fresh air, proving that Fiasco continues to bring something new and interesting to a market that hasn’t been shaken up in a long time.

Give these tracks a listen: “The Show Goes On,” “Never Forget You,” “Beautiful Lasers (2 Ways)”

For Fans of: Kanye West, Kid Cudi

– Anneta Konstantinides