Feminist Film Festival in final stages

Feminists of Davis rejoice! The Davis Feminist Film Festival is back for its sixth year. The season will kick off with Hefty Thigh, a concert fundraiser, Friday night.

The fundraiser will feature all womyn and womyn-identified bands and DJs from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. in the Technocultural Studies Building. The cover is $5 or free with the purchase of a ticket to the film festival.

The festival will take place on April 14 and 15, at 6 p.m. at the Veteran’s Memorial Center Theater.

DFFF will showcase independent films made by artists that explore issues including gender, race, class and sexuality. The films are presented in documentary, narrative or experimental style. Along with the films, there will be a silent auction. A reception, where refreshments and beverages will be served, will precede the event.

“The festival gives local and international filmmakers who are underrepresented in film a space to present their perspective,” said Rachel Aquino, senior communication major and communications intern for the film festival. “I wanted to get involved with the event because I believe it sends an important message about letting other voices be heard.”

Director of DFFF Michelle Yates explained that the festival staff is currently in the process of finalizing the films and program for the event.

“The curation for the film festival takes place primarily through a winter quarter undergraduate course titled Feminism, Film, and

Curation,” Yates said.

“In the course, students gain valuable hands-on experience curating a film festival and designing the program for the DFFF in particular,” she said.

The festival is organized and hosted by the Consortium for Women and Research, a UC Davis group that focuses on women and gender issues, and is funded entirely by sponsors. Sponsors for the event include the ASUCD Gender and Sexuality Commission, the Women’s Resources and Research Center on campus and the UC Davis cultural studies and film studies departments.

Proceeds from the event will go toward operating costs.

“I’ve been to the film festival before, and I really enjoyed it,” said Za Lo, junior community and regional development major. “The films were really impressive, and they showcased a lot of meaningful ideas about gender and sexuality.”

Tickets for the DFFF are currently on sale. They can be purchased on a $5 to $15 sliding scale, where attendees pay what they can afford, at the Women’s Resources and Research Center.

They are also available for a student price of $7 or $10 for general admission at Armadillo Music, 205 F Street. Tickets will also be sold at the door of the event, $10 for students and $15 for the general public.

ANNABEL SANDHU can be reached at city@theaggie.org.