Women’s Gymnastics Preview

Teams: UC Davis at Sacramento State; vs. Boise State

Record: Aggies, 9-6; Hornets, 5-7; Broncos, 10-3

Where: The Nest – Sacramento, Calif.

When: Sunday at 2 p.m.

Who to watch:  Sophomore Katie Yamamura was out earlier this season due to injuries, but now she’s back and competing in more events than before.

The 5-foot-1 Palo Alto, Calif. native may be small, but she is racking up points for the team in a big way.

“Getting [Katie Yamamura] in three events [last Friday] was encouraging,” said coach John Lavallee.

Yamamura competed in the vault, balance beam and uneven parallel bars. She placed second for her performance on both the beam and bars.

Did you know? This is the Aggies’ last meet before Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Conference Championships.

Preview: Though finals are approaching, the gymnastics team is rigorously preparing for their last regular meet of the season.

In between studying for finals, the Aggies are preparing for a crucial end-of-year event.

UC Davis will travel across the Causeway this weekend to take on rival Sacramento State. The Aggies will also be competing against the Broncos of Boise State.

Sacramento State and Boise State may be formidable opponents this Sunday. They have had impressive seasons so far, with the Broncos in first place in the Western Athletic Conference and the Hornets averaging over 190 points per meet.

Despite the tough competition, Lavallee believes in his team’s abilities.

“I think we’re right where we want to be two weeks out from our conference championships,” Lavallee said. “We want to finish the season maxing out our performance. Counting no falls is our obvious goal. Hitting at least five out of six routines on each event is our focus. We’ve got a few things that are coming back around.”

The team hopes to improve their score as well as add two more wins to their final season standing.

“We still have things we want to work on to get an extra 10th of a point here and there, so that’s always important,” Lavallee said.

– Caleigh Guoynes