Aggie Senate Briefs

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the March 10 meeting location, the Gunrock Pub. The meeting was then moved to the Mee Room in the Memorial Union.

Meeting called to order at 6:26 p.m. then reconvened in the Mee Room at 8:25 p.m.

Adam Thongsavat, ASUCD president, present, left early

Bree Rombi, ASUCD vice president, present

Yena Bae, ASUCD senator, present

Miguel Espinoza, ASUCD senator, present

Emmanuel Diaz-Ordaz, ASUCD senator, present

Andre Lee, ASUCD senator, present

Amy Martin, ASUCD senator, pro tempore, present

Mayra Martín, ASUCD senator, present

Tatiana Moana Bush, ASUCD senator, present, arrived late

Darwin Moosavi, ASUCD senator, present

Matthew Provencher, ASUCD senator, present

Brendan Repicky, ASUCD senator, present

Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD senator, present

Eli Yani, ASUCD senator, present

Presentations

Former ASUCD President Jack Zwald presented executive office appreciation awards to Janet Gong and Mark Champagne.

Davis City Councilmember Stephen Souza presented resolutions from the city to former Controller Joey Chen, former ASUCD Vice President Previn Witana and Zwald.

Yolo County Supervisors Jim Provenza and Don Saylor presented certificates of appreciation to Chen, Witana and Zwald.

Chen, Witana and Zwald made their farewell speeches.

Appointments and Confirmations

Thongsavat was sworn in as ASUCD president.

Rombi was sworn in as ASUCD vice president.

Samantha Rahhal was confirmed as court justice.

Sergio Cano was confirmed as chair of the Internal Affairs Commission.

Unit Director Reports

Sebastian Belser of Tipsy Taxi said the unit is doing well. He also thanked the senate for passing the capital investment bill for a new Tipsy Taxi vehicle.

The unit director of the Bike Barn, Steve Burkel, talked about their new website that was recently launched and said that in general the Bike Barn is doing well. He also said that the Bike Barn would be having a big sale in the spring for its 40-year anniversary. He said the unit might be looking into future renovations to the Bike Barn building.

Consideration of Old Legislation

Senate Bill 53, authored by Moosavi, co-authored by Ashley Ayala, Henry Chatfield, Don Ho, Lee, Luke Nio, Osahon Ekhator, Perry Sanesanong, Swasti Reddy, Rombi, Thongsavat, Mohit Vasudeva and Tim Zamanigan, to allocate $133,000 from Capital Reserves to fund the Kid Cudi concert to be held by ASUCD and the Entertainment Council on April 28, 2011 at the UC Davis Pavilion, passed with a 9-3 vote. Champagne said he was concerned about the riskiness of the concert. Some students said they wanted to see Kid Cudi at UC Davis, while others said they were concerned about accessibility for students who couldn’t afford tickets. Amendments were made to the bill to give 5 percent of profits to Club Finance Council. Diaz-Ordaz, Espinoza and Yani voted against the bill. Edward Montelongo said he was concerned that senators silenced some members of the public during the discussion.

Resolution 7, authored by Nikhil Sheel, co-authored by Ryan Meyerhoff, introduced by Alison Tanner to grant CampusCred Inc. the use of the ASUCD name and logo, passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 49, authored by Liz Walz, co-authored by Thongsavat, introduced by Walz, to establish the rules and reservation procedure for Student Government Meeting Room, passed unanimously.

Resolution 9, authored by Walz and introduced by Martin, in opposition to Gov. Jerry Brown’s 2011-2012 proposed budget cuts to the University of California, was sent back to the Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission.

Senate Bill 51, authored by Patrick Sheehan, co-authored and introduced by Lee, to allow questions to be asked on deferment and to allow speakers to withdraw deferments, was sent back to the Internal Affairs Commission.

Consideration of Urgent Legislation

An ASUCD Senate Bill, authored by Besler, co-authored by Lee and Provencher, introduced by Lee, to amend the Specialized Transportation Services/Tipsy Taxi 2010-2011 budget to enact the Thursday service pilot program for spring quarter, passed unanimously. There would be a price increase from $2 to 3, but Lee said that Tipsy Taxi is not worried that the higher price will lower ridership.

Senate Bill 52, authored by Sheehan, co-authored by Lee, Christine Sifferman and Moosavi, introduced by Lee, to allocate $869.20 temporarily from Senate Reserves to purchase buttons and canvas bags to sell at Picnic Day as a fundraiser for Cal Aggie Camp, passed unanimously.

Public Announcements

Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission is starting screenings of films promoting awareness. The first film will be shown on Tuesday at 6 p.m. in Chemistry 179.

Past Meeting Minutes

Approved.

Meeting adjourned at 3:12 a.m.

HANNAH STRUMWASSER compiles the senate briefs. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.