Women’s golf preview

Event: The Battle at Rancho Bernardo Inn, San Diego State

Where: Rancho Bernardo Inn – San Diego

When: March 20 to 22, all day

Who to watch: Senior Alice Kim continues to post low scores in her final year as an Aggie.

The Walnut Creek, Calif. native and 2010 Big West Conference Player of the Year ranks 141st out of all collegiate women.

Last week, Kim led UC Davis to a dominating victory at Fresno State.

Did you know? The Battle at Rancho Bernardo Inn, San Diego State’s home tournament, will host 10 teams ranked in the top 25 nationally.

UC Davis is ranked 24th in the country, according to Golfweek rankings.

Preview: They say practice makes perfect and for the UC Davis women’s golf team, the hard work is paying off.

“It’s really been a team effort,” said coach Anne Walker. “All the time we have someone different step up to the plate and that’s how it’s been all year. It pushes everyone to be better.”

A complete group effort will be key for the Aggies to reach their goals this season.

“One of our goals is to finish the season ranked in the top 25,” said Walker. This weekend’s tournament can do a lot to solidify the Aggies’ position among the nation’s best. Many of the teams playing in the Battle at Rancho Bernardo have national championship aspirations, with six teams ranked in the top 10 nationally.”

In order to play well this weekend UC Davis will need strong play from their leader, Kim.

“The experience that [Kim] brings to the table is going to be clutch for us coming down the stretch,” Walker said.

One concern for the tournament will be the length of the course, Walker said. The San Diego course will be set up 6,350 yards long, which is as long as a professional Ladies Professional Golf Association course, and something the team is not accustomed to.

“We haven’t seen courses that long all year, and we’ll be hitting a lot of long fairway woods and hybrids,” said Walker. “Our short game has to be strong.”

After the tournament at Rancho Bernardo the Aggies will only play in one more event before the Big West Championships start in April.

Walker says The Battle at Rancho Bernardo will be a great test for UC Davis, with the postseason right around the corner.

“Any time you have the opportunity to play in the same field as a possible national champion it’s a great measuring stick,” Walker said.

– Caelum Shove