News in brief: Storms cause damage to campus

Three storms blew through Davis over spring break, causing damage throughout campus.

The major storm was on March 20 with rainfall – one and a half inches in less than 12 hours – and winds reaching speeds of 60 miles per hour.

At the Mondavi Center, scaffolding came down, knocking out two glass panels above the ticket office, as well as some of its lettering. Temporary panels have been put up and new glass panels have been ordered.

UC Davis spokesperson Mitchel Benson said that no dollar estimate has been calculated as of yet.

University officials are conducting an investigation on the condition of the scaffolding prior to the storm. If investigators find that the scaffolding was faulty, the money for repairs could come from a third party as opposed to the university.

“[The] scaffolding that knocked out the glass panels should have been secured so that they wouldn’t get knocked down during the storm,” Benson said.

Small to medium branches were scattered throughout campus and 16 trees were completely uprooted.

“There was so much water in the soil, the trees couldn’t remain standing,” said Cary Avery, superintendent of Facilities Management.

The trees did not cause any of the damage to buildings.

Groundskeepers as well as Civil and Industrial Services worked for four days to clean the campus.

“This is one of the worst storms I’ve seen in all my years here,” Avery said.

– Amir Begovic