Women’s Gymnastics Preview

Event: NCAA RegionalsWhere: Legendary Gil Coliseum – Corvallis, Ore.When: Saturday at 4 p.m.

Did you know? UC Davis finished their it’s season ranked 43rd in the nation, just two places behind qualifying the whole team for NCAA Regionals.

The rankings, which count away meets more heavily than home meets and automatically drop a team’s highest match score, are used to determine which squads will qualify for NCAA Regionals.

The Aggies averaged a 192.725 for the season, finishing just over a point behind 36th ranked Michigan State.

Preview: This Saturday, gymnasts from all over the NCAA Western Region will travel to Oregon State to prove they are worth their salt in the competition.

UC Davis will send two gymnasts to compete in the event – senior Marcy Miller for the all-around and freshman Anna Shumaker for the vault.

“It is a very difficult accomplishment to get to the NCAA Regional as an individual,” coach John Lavallee said. “I think both of these athletes have done an outstanding job throughout the season. [Miller] has hit 41 of 44 routines this season. That’s pretty remarkable.”

Lavallee is especially impressed with Shumaker for making rRegionals in her first year on the team.

“Anna, coming in as a freshman, has also done an outstanding job,” Lavallee said. “She has done a great job to maintain her performance over the course of the year.”

According to Lavallee, Shumaker’s transition from doing a tuck full to a more difficult layout full in the vault is what propelled her to the NCAA Regionals.

Senior Jessica Rea, junior Erika Van Dyke and sophomore Michelle Ho also received bids as alternates on the uneven bars, balance beam and floor exercise, respectively.

Live results of the meet can be seen at osubeavers.com.

– Caleigh Guoynes