Saturday, May 11, 2024

Men’s golf preview

Event: Cowboy Classic

When: Monday and Tuesday, all day

Where: Talking Stick Golf Club – Scottsdale, Ariz.

Who to Watch: Freshman Matt Hansen is starting to find his place on the Aggies’ roster.

The Los Osos, Calif. native finished 29th at the Oregon Duck Invitational, the Aggies’ most recent tournament event.

Hansen shot a team-best 72 in his third round, with a front nine that included four pars and a birdie on the last five holes.

Did you know? While the Cowboy Classic will be played in Arizona, the University of Wyoming will be hosting the two-day event.

Preview: With just two events separating UC Davis from the Big West Conference Tournament, it’s safe to say it’s getting to be crunch time.

The Aggies’ drive to the conference event starts at the Cowboy Classic hosted by Wyoming at the Talking Stick Golf Club in Scottsdale, Ariz.

This will be an opportunity to bounce back after a lukewarm performance at the Oregon Invitational last week, in which the Aggies finished ninth out of 15 teams. Despite the finish, coach Cy Williams still feels the team is optimistic.

“Our goals are to always be prepared and to compete as hard as we can,” Williams said.

The stiffest amongst the competition this week will be No. 22 San Diego, a team that is averaging only 71.39 strokes per round through nine events this season. This is a good chance to take a title home, given the fact that UC Davis is the second-highest ranked team in the field at 53rd nationally.

Williams said the team will use this event to hone its abilities before the postseason.

“I think every match is critical and this one should give us a chance to continue to sharpen our skills before the Big West Championships,” Williams said.

While Williams wants a total team effort, he acknowledged that junior Tyler Raber and freshman Daniel Covrig have been a big part to UC Davis’ successes this season.

“Tyler has been a superstar and Daniel has had a breakout event, but everybody has contributed,” Williams said.

Following this weekend’s event, the BYU Cougar Classic on April 15 to 16 will be UC Davis’ final event before the Big West Conference Championships in May.

– Ron Hooper