Men’s Golf Preview

Event: BYU Cougar Classic

Where: Riverside Country Club – Provo, Utah.

When: Friday through Saturday, all day

Who to watch: Senior Austin Graham has been playing up to par this season.

The San Clemente, Calif. local finished 4th overall at the Cowboy Classic last week.

Did you know? This is the last regular season event for the Aggies before the Big West Championship.

Preview: The last event of the regular season is the time to fine-tune a competitor’s work and is often the litmus test for how one will do in the post-season.

The UC Davis men’s golf team will be doing just that at the BYU Cougar Classic this weekend.

The Aggies are coming in hot after a fourth-place finish at the Cowboy Classic a week ago. Coach Cy Williams believes his team is eager to mix it up again.

“Team morale is great,” Williams said. “We are working very hard to get ready for the Cougar Classic and I think we will be.”

The Aggie lineup will consist of senior Austin Graham, junior Tyler Raber, sophomore Andrew Haggen and freshmen Matt Hansen and Daniel Covrig.

“Everyone has been great in preparing for each event and have been great competitors,” Williams said.

The Aggies are currently ranked 55th in the nation according to Golfweek rankings, making them a high-caliber team in this event. Williams is confident that the weekend will be successful.

“It’s all about the Aggies,” Williams said. “I don’t really even know who else is playing other than a couple of teams.”

After this, the Aggies will participate in the Big West Conference Championship then hopefully the NCAA Regional.

The Aggies will make it to the regional event in one of two ways. They could either be voted in by a committee, or they could win the conference title. The Aggies are currently 81-62 on the season, making them eligible for voting by the committee, but Williams has his eye on the conference title.

– Ron Hooper