Track and Field Preview

Event: Woody Wilson Classic

Where: Toomey Field

When: Saturday, all day

Who to watch: Senior Chidinma Onyewuenyi was named Big West Conference Women’s Field Athlete of the Week for the second time this season after setting the school record for shot put with a mark of 50 feet, 4.5 inches.

“Chidinma is experiencing the best season of her career,” interim director Byron Talley said. “She’s a student of her sport. She is incredibly strong. She’s really bought into the training that’s brought her to be successful. She has focus and passion to improve.”

Did you know? The Woody Wilson Classic is held on Picnic Day each year. A former chancellor requested that a track meet be held on that day to provide wholesome entertainment for visitors of UC Davis.

Preview: Byron Talley, interim director of track and field, has big plans for the team this season.

Though this is his first year leading the squad, Talley is not new to UC Davis athletics. From 2000 to 2002, he ran track for the Aggies, and from 2004 to 2010 he worked as an assistant coach.

Now he is taking over the program with his own vision.

“I’m excited to take this opportunity,” Talley said. “I learned from wonderful mentors. They taught me what UC Davis is about. But I also want to make this team strong in the Division I ranks.”

Talley plans to recruit strong student athletes and develop their talents.

“Every year UC Davis has a larger and larger presence at the NCAA preliminaries,” Talley said. “My goal is to qualify as many athletes as possible to championships. I also want to see the team at the top ranks at the Big West Conference.”

So far this season, the Aggies have been breaking school records and setting up for that successful championship.

This weekend at the Woody Wilson Classic, Talley hopes that the team will continue to produce powerful results on the track and field. He said that the best part about the meet is the fact that the athletes are able to compete in front of their friends and family.

Talley encourages students to stop by the track on Picnic Day to cheer for their fellow Aggies.

– Caleigh Guoynes