Aggie Senate Briefs

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the April 14 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room. The ASUCD president is not required to attend senate meetings.

Meeting called to order at 6:13 p.m.

Adam Thongsavat, ASUCD president, absent

Bree Rombi, ASUCD vice president, present

Yena Bae, ASUCD senator, present

Miguel Espinoza, ASUCD senator, present, left meeting early at 6:40 p.m., returned at 8:01 p.m.

Emmanuel Diaz-Ordaz, ASUCD senator, arrived late at 6:30 p.m., left meeting early after a break at 7:30 p.m.

Andre Lee, ASUCD senator, present, returned late at 7:35 p.m. from a break scheduled to end at 7:30 p.m.

Amy Martin, ASUCD senator, president pro tempore, present

Mayra Martín, ASUCD senator, present

Tatiana Moana Bush, ASUCD senator, present, returned late at 7:35 p.m. from a break scheduled to end at 7:30 p.m.

Darwin Moosavi, ASUCD senator, present

Matthew Provencher, ASUCD senator, present

Brendan Repicky, ASUCD senator, present

Rebecca Sterling, ASUCD senator, present

Eli Yani, ASUCD senator, present

Appointments and confirmations

Ahmad Merza was appointed Court Justice.

Richard Yu was confirmed as book exchange director.

Hannah Oakes was confirmed to the Environmental Policy and

Planning Commission.

Dale Maglalang was confirmed as chair of the Student Health and Wellness Committee.

Consideration of old legislation

Senate bill 56, authored by Martín, co-authored by Espinoza and Alison Tanner, introduced by Martín, to create the Special Committee on first-generation middle school, high school and transfer outreach to be known as Aggie Bound Outreach Committee, passed unanimously.

Senate bill 60, authored by Lee, co-authored by Rombi and Amaan Shaikh, Sergio Cano, Bae, Provencher, Dana Percoco, Sterling, Diaz-Ordaz, Bush, Moosavi, Martin, Martín, Edward Montelongo and Repicky, introduced by Lee, to establish and fund the Mark and Linda Champagne ASUCD Customer Service/Exceptional Hourly Employee Award, passed unanimously.

Senate bill 61 authored by Lee, co-authored by Rombi, Shaikh, Cano, Bae, Provencher, Percoco, Sterling, Diaz-Ordaz, Bush, Moosavi, Martin, Martín, Montelongo, Yani and Repicky, introduced by Lee, to establish the Mark and Linda Champagne ASUCD Customer Service/Exceptional Hourly Employee Award Committee, passed unanimously.

Senate bill 62, authored by Lee, co-authored by Rombi, Cano, Bae, Provencher, Shaikh, Percoco, Sterling, Diaz-Ordaz, Bush, Moosavi, Martin, Martín, Montelongo, Yani and Repicky, introduced by Lee, to enact Chapter 19 of the ASUCD Bylaws, passed unanimously.

Consideration of urgent legislation

Senate bill 64, authored by Lee, co-authored by Cano, Rombi and Shaikh, introduced by Lee, to fund the Mark and Linda Champagne ASUCD Customer Service/Exceptional Hourly Employee Award for spring 2011. Lee is working on revising the bill and it will be addressed at a later date.

Public discussion

Mark Champagne spoke on behalf of the legislation in his honor that was passed. Champagne stated that his contribution of $25,000 is a thank you to ASUCD and all their work.

Yani wants the senate to discuss ASUCD making an official statement that they do not want to rejoin University of California Student Association (UCSA). Repicky responded by suggesting they collaborate before making a statement. Sterling said that there was no suggestion of losing Lobby Corps in the discussion of rejoining UCSA. Martin said that she met with UCSA and believes that the collaboration is a good idea.

Public announcements

Lee said that he would like the Mark Champagne award to be given before Champagne retires at the end of the school year.

Bae said Lobby Corps is having its letter writing campaign from Wednesday to Friday, and she encouraged students and senators to write letters to legislators.

Provencher announced that he is sick of the computers in the senate office not logging him in and hopes that ASUCD can get wireless on the third floor. He stated he will be writing a bill about this issue in the future and would like everyone to be a co-author.

Bush announced that on May 26 there will be a campus community day out on the quad where students can get free food and participate in activities put on by the Student Academic Success Center, the Student Recruitment and Retention Center and ASUCD.

Meeting adjourned at 12:10 a.m.

Open positions within ASUCD can be found at vacancy.ucdavis.edu. RACHEL LEVY compiles the senate briefs. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org