KDVS sets fundraising goal at $60,000 to continue freeform radio

KDVS is hosting its annual fundraiser in an effort to continue broadcasting its community-driven and diverse offerings.

This year, KDVS aims to raise upward of $60,000, which mirrors last year’s goal. If this amount is reached, it will be enough to cover the costs of functioning, repairs and future projects.

“Without the fundraiser, we wouldn’t be able to operate at a basic level,” said Michael Mastrangelo, programming director of KDVS.

Last year’s fundraiser raised $52,000, which was enough to operate. If they raise less than $20,000, KDVS will be forced to ask ASUCD for more funding, Mastrangelo said.

All week the station will be buzzing with activity as employees try to draw in money from listeners and supporters – phones will be operating all day, all week. In addition, every hour on air gets devoted to a pledge drive.

“We do crazy antics, like eat something gross. Someone has gotten a tattoo or something weird a caller suggested,” Mastrangelo said. “We have a lot of gifts we give back to the listeners like $15 gift packages and lots of music at the $25 level. Dollar for dollar, it’s worth it.”

The KDVS budget operates at roughly $120,000 to $140,000 from ASUCD, $20,000 from underwriting and action broadcasting and $60,000 from the annual fundraiser.

“KDVS provides an outlet for voices that are not generally heard in the mainstream and public,” said Ed Martin, community volunteer with KDVS. “Community radio exists to provide a broader range of choices and cultural offerings that are not heard anywhere else on the radio dial.”

Donations can be made in cash, credit or check. Call 754-5387 or donate in person at 14 Lower Freeborn.

– Amir Begovic

Correction – April 20, 2011: The above article stated that “the KDVS budget operates at roughly $120,000 to $140,000 from ASUCD, $20,000 from underwriting and action broadcasting and $60,000 from the annual fundraiser.” This is incorrect. The KDVS budget operates at roughly $120,000 to $140,000 total, with roughly $40,000 from ASUCD. The Aggie regrets the error.