Track and Field Preview

Event: Brutus Hamilton Invitational at California

Where: Edwards Stadium – Berkeley, Calif.

When: Friday and Saturday, all day

Who to watch: While senior Chid Onyewuenyi has been a consistent leader for the Aggie women, it’s freshmen like Katelyn MacFabe who give UC Davis track and field a glimpse into the future.

The freshman from Palatine, Calif. finished in the top-15 in each of her throwing events last weekend at the Woody Wilson Classic.

MacFabe placed 12th in the hammer throw, 11th in shot put and sixth in the discuss throw, with distances of 43.9m, 10.46m and 39.40m, respectively.

Did you know? Ugo Eke, a 5-foot-10 senior, holds the school records in both the women’s 400 and 200 meters.

Preview: The USA Track and Field Outdoor Championships are still over two months away.

To get that far, the Aggies will need to make their presence known in multiple states at the Big West Championships, the NCAA West Region Championships and the NCAA Outdoor Championships.

Meanwhile, UC Davis will hit the road for Berkeley, Calif., which will mark the first of the two-month-long streak of away events.

The Brutus Hamilton Invitational in Berkeley commemorates Brutus Kerr Hamilton, an American decathlete, Olympic medalist and coach.

The annual event, hosted by the Golden Bears, is one that has brought together over 700 athletes in the past, representing over 80 teams from around the world.

This year, Cal will host more than 15 universities at Edwards Stadium, as well as athletes competing for club teams and those who are unattached. Among the schools attending are Fresno State, Chico State, Harvard, Stanford and New Mexico.

The Aggies will look to athletes like MacFabe and Eke for some solid individual performances, along with a group of veteran seniors, who recently competed in their final home event of their Aggie careers.

– Grace Sprague